Chapter 15 - Part I

Dinner at the Bane's

What to wear, what to wear. A dress is way too formal. But a simple jeans and a jumper might be too casual. I decided to go for a crimson skirt that reached below mid-thighs with black stockings and a black jumper. I looked myself over in the mirror before grabbing my car keys, putting on shoes and making my way outside. I still hadn't seen dad since the day after the party and I hadn't told him about camping yet. It's not like he'd care, really.

I sighed, closing the house door behind me and starting my car. I drove to Wes' house, only a few minutes away. Jordan had persisted that he bring Eli, so I didn't object. However, Jordan's car was nowhere to be seen so I assumed him and Eli weren't there yet. I breathed in nervously. I had nothing to be nervous about but I just didn't interact with many people besides Eli and lately, Wes and Jordan, as well. And for Marie to invite me for dinner was just plain weird. I didn't have a mother figure and although it felt comforting in some weird way, it still made me nervous thinking that I had to actually interact.

I rang the bell. Not even a few seconds went by before the door was flung open by Wes.

"Kitty!" he smiled enthusiastically, hugging me. I was taken aback. Since when did we get to the hugging friend stage? I gave him a weird look, patting his back awkwardly.

"Someone's a bit too excited," I joked.

He winked at me as he let go of me. Marie was coming up behind me, smiling warmly. Her smile seemed to even reach her soft hazel eyes, like it was coming from right her soul.

"Good evening," I smiled at her as she pulled me into her embrace

"Come in, come in, dear," she said, leading me into the living room.

"Hello, Catherine," Wes' father, Andrew came up, also hugging me. "Or can I call you Kitty?"

"Why not, it seems like everyone is lately," I laughed, as we all sat down. I sat on the love seat, Wes joining me. Marie and Andrew each took an armchair.

"Just out of curiosity, how did that name come about?" Andrew asked.

I was quiet for a seconds, my mind being pulled back into the past. Every colour imaginable, light, warm sunshine hot on my skin.

"My mother started using it after she read Pride and Prejudice. The second youngest daughter, Catherine was nicknamed Kitty," I explained. "She thought it'd be cute if I was called Kitty, Catherine was too mature. She didn't want me named Catherine when I was born, dad wanted it."

"I always remembered her saying she wanted to name her children after stars," Marie said, a reminiscent smile on her face. "She said if she had a girl, it'd have to be Bellatrix. If it was a son, it'd have to be Sirius."

"Well she did love painting galaxies," I chuckled, remembering her obsession with space-related things that had lasted for a whole year when I was eight years old.

"She had so many obsessions," Marie grinned. "I remember she had a hippie phase, an anime phase, even a goth phase once. I remember she dyed her hair black and only wore black for a whole week."

"A goth phase?!" I exclaimed in wonder. I really couldn't imagine my mother in her goth phase. She always wore simple things, yes. Always wearing a simple white shirt with overalls on top for painting. Her hair was always pulled back in a ponytail so it wouldn't distract her. She always had this easy-going vibe to her, a sort of brightness that illuminated the whole house with only just her presence.

Just then the door bell rang and Wes moved to open the door. I jumped slightly, almost forgetting that he was there. Eli and Jordan came in and I smiled at them. Honestly, they already looked like a couple. They were so easy and effortless around each other. Like they both belonged where they were, by each other's sides. Or was my sentimentality getting in the way. I moved to hug them both as they walked in.

Marie exited to the kitchen to bring refreshments after hugging them both.

"So are you kids excited about tomorrow?" Andrew asked, looking around at us.

"Yes!" Jordan replied excitedly. "It'll be great! It's a shame you and Marie can't make it though!"

"You just wanted a cook with you," Marie smiled knowingly, coming back in with a tray of drinks.

"Well, your cooking is amazing," Jordan said sheepishly. 

I grabbed a glass, it turned out to be freshly squeezed orange juice. I don't even know how Wes' mom made orange juice taste better than normal, but she did. My mind wandered to what Marie had said about my mom. It didn't even bother me how my mom was mentioned. Usually, whenever anyone mentioned my mother, it felt as if it were an invasion of privacy. But Maria just made everything feel homely and comfortable around her. I really couldn't imagine my mother as a teenager. I smiled slightly behind my glass at the thought.

"So have you planned it all out yet?" Andrew asked.

"Yeah, we were planning on going tomorrow right after school in Jordan's car," Wes explained. "We'll leave Sunday evening and get back by night."

"Good, I don't want to hear you're staying back and skipping school," he said sternly, as though Wes had done exactly that in the past. Wes grinned mischievously in response and my interest was immediately piqued. I wonder what had happened.

"Be careful though," Marie said worriedly. "There're only four of you, in the woods alone."

"Mom, it's not completely deserted in the middle of nowhere," Wes rolled his eyes.

"That is my exact worry. young man! And pack extra batteries and torchlights," she responded. She turned to Wes and Jordan, "And you two had better look after these two girls!"

It was cute, someone worrying over us staying away for two nights.

"Oh we will," Wes smirked, his eyes gleaming. And suddenly, I was worried.

"Yes, ma'am," Jordan said seriously.

Andrew turned to Eli and I, "And don't let them do anything stupid and reckless."

"Will do," Eli grinned.

"I hope you're all packed already so you're ready to leave tomorrow," Marie said.

"Yeah, we bought all the junk food yesterday and it's all in the car already," Jordan said. Andrew and Marie tsked.

"We'll be fine," I smiled reassuringly at Marie. "We're all packed and we've all got the essentials. It is only two days after all."

"Okay, I'll cook some food for you to take," Marie said. "In case you get hungry."

I was just about to respond when the door was opened and two people burst into the room.

"We're getting married!" Someone cried, a young male.

The male who spoke looked to be in his twenties. He was tall with black hair, just like Wes' but startling emerald eyes. Next to him, hand in hand, was a girl, with mahogany hair and cream skin colour. They were both smiling widely.

Wes dropped his drink in shock.

Yes, I couldn't help myself and I've updated earlier! 
I can now have the satisfaction of a cliffhanger!

~TheNightMarauder