Chapter 35

I was walking down the school corridors having just finished Biology class. Eli and I were still laughing over our shopping spree last night. She was absolutely excited for tonight's party, despite my ongoing wariness to go. From the talk going around the school, the party was going to be chaotic. But Jordan was insistent that I needed to be a normal high school girl. I didn't realise 'normal' entailed ignorantly seeking trouble. Eli and I had parted ways after Biology as I made my way to Trig class. I hadn't seen Wes last night after the shopping trip and I was already missing spending time with him.

"Hey, Catherine, right?" Bridgette walked up to me and stopped me in my tracks.

"You know me, Bridgette," I raised an eyebrow at her. We had spent the weekend together at the same camp site.

She ignored my comment and moved to walk by my side.

"Well, Kitty," she batted her eyelashes, still smiling sweetly. "I couldn't help but overhear a few rumours going around and I absolutely couldn't possibly believe them so I just had to check for myself."

Her smile was turning too sickly sweet for my liking as she waited for a response. I raised an eyebrow, "Okay, so what's the rumour?"

"Oh, it's silly, really," she giggled. Her laugh was as sickly as her smile. "People are saying that you and Wes are, like, an item."

"Um, I guess you could say that," I said. I slowed down to a stop in the middle of the hallway since she obviously wanted to talk. She wasn't even in my next class. Most people had already gone to their next class and the hallway was slowly starting to empty.

"What?" her smile dropped before she quickly regained her composure. "But you two are just having sex right? Like friends with benefits?"

"Excuse me?" I blanched. This was so none of her business.

"What kind of relationship do you have with Wes?" she repeated slowly, now outright glaring at me. There goes the fake sweetness. She was staring daggers into my eyeballs.

"Why do you care? Aren't you with Tyler?" I raised an eyebrow at her, refusing to answer her question. It might fuel her absurd preconceived notion that her opinion mattered to my relationship with Wes.

"Tyler?" Bridgette giggled. "Oh no, I just use him to get with Wes." Only just a couple of days after camp, Bridgette was seen on Tyler's arm once more. It seemed that they had sorted through their problems in camp.

My lip curled in disgust. It was Bridgette with whom Tyler cheated on Eli with in the first place. And now both Tyler and Wes seemed to be in the middle of her petty mind games. Why would someone play with so many hearts? I only felt more pity at Ash and Alex who worshiped her. I was getting tired of her mind games.

"Well then I'm sorry to inform you that Wes is out of your game. We are going out. As in he's my boyfriend and I'm his girlfriend and our affairs have nothing to do with anyone else except Wes and I," I continued to walk on my way to class.

She followed after me in outrage. She looked as if she wanted to slap her finely manicured nails across my cheek. "Know your place, nerd! Wes couldn't possibly go for the likes of you! Did you use your filthy money to bribe him, rich girl?"

That really stung. I hated people calling me the 'rich girl'. But I kept silent and kept walking on with her hot on my heels. I didn't want to let her know she was affecting me in the least.

"You don't fit his criteria, Virgin. You're an inexperienced noob and can't satisfy him the way I can. Oh you should see him moaning when he's with me. You don't even have the necessary assets to please him."