Chapter 28

The next morning I woke up to a ring at my doorbell. Who the hell would be ringing the doorbell this early in the morning? I rolled out of bed and walked sluggishly downstairs. Opening the door, I was face to face with a grinning Wes.

I sighed, running a hand through my hair. He was sweet in coming here, I had to admit, but not the first thing early on a Monday morning! Especially after an unstable night of that damned nightmare weaving in and out of my stream of dreams all night.

"Kidnapping trick getting old?" I yawned, rubbing the side of my face.

"Well good morning to you to," he laughed. Just then he pulled out his arms from behind him and revealed a bouquet of roses. "You said to surprise you, so I'm trying. Go out with me?"

I pretended to be in serious thought for a second, "I think I'm almost disappointed in you."

He frowned at me.

"You're playing a dangerous game, Kitty," he threatened me.

I crossed my arms over my chest, "Try your best."

"Prepare yourself," he winked at me, walking around me through the doorway.

"What're you doing?" I asked as I followed him while he walked into the hall and into the kitchen, laying down the roses on the counter top.

"Well since I got out of the car anyway, I may as well wait for you in here," He commented, looking around for a vase to place the flowers in.

I pulled one out for him, a clear simple glass vase, it had been empty and stored away for years. That vase used to be always in use. Mom used to constantly have flowers in there. And it used to always be next to her art working area in the garage.

"Nice and simple- I like it," he noted, nodding his head in appreciation. And without him even knowing it, those words fit perfectly into an imprint in my heart. Mom was nice and simple.

"Well I'll, uh, go and get changed," I announced.

"Too bad, you look cute when you've just woken up," he smiled at me over the counter, that crooked smile of his, making my breath catch in my throat. And before I knew it, he was standing in front of me, his hand brushing the side of my face.

"You still haven't told me good morning," he pouted, eyes shining down at me. "Or given me a good morning kiss for that matter."

"Who said it's a good morning?" I arched an eyebrow at him. But I was slowly losing sense of what I was even saying.

"That can be fixed," he smirked, before bringing his lips onto mine.

So, yes this was a good morning. And it got even better when he pushed me up off the ground and onto the counter, with my legs wrapping around his waist. I breathed in his scent, that wonderful bitter chocolate but that taste of sweet orange.

He laughed against my lips, "We're going to be late."

"Mmmhmm," I replied against his lips. Yet his hands tightened around me, seeming to never want to let me go. And neither was I. I just pressed myself closer to him instead.

"Well you two are late!" Eli complained, behind the counter. It was weird, being back here after our weekend camp. Eli's apron looked weird, almost changed. Even the coffee machine looked different. Or maybe it was us just who were changing. Eli looked over her shoulder and shot Jordan a discrete smile and Wes squeezed my hand. Yes, it was us who were changing.

"We were delayed, you could say," Wes pressed his lips together into an amused smile.

"You were supposed to be the good influence who got her to stop coming late!" Eli reprimanded him.