Chapter 52

Jordan's Guide of How to Differentiate Dreams from Reality

"This is stupid," I whispered frantically, trying to untangle myself from the branches of a bush. "Really, really stupid!"

"It's perfect!" Eli replied in hushed tones, yanking me back behind the bush. I stumbled and fell into the bush deeper, spreading loud snapping noises into the quiet night. "Shhhhhhhh!" Eli had the audacity to hush me.

"I don't see why we can't just knock on the door and get him on the plan with us!" I whispered.

"One- it's already past two in the morning! Two- Because then it wouldn't be a surprise!" she crouched down, surveying Jordan's house in front of us.

Yup, we were actually hiding behind a bush in front of Jordan's house in the middle of the night. It had started with Eli's suggestion of doing something big. Which was a party. And since Jordan's birthday party was obviously cancelled since the host (Wes) couldn't host the party at his ex-girlfriend's house, Eli thought it would be a brilliant idea if we hosted. It would be one step closer to amending our torn relationships with the boys. It was too late to call Jan or Kevin for help, so unfortunately, Eli was leading the mission for now.

We knew that Wes and Jordan had kept a folder containing all the plans for the party and all the contact details of the services they needed. It also had the invite outline they intended to use. Yes, they had actually planned to go all out and personally hand out invites to everyone. It was supposed to be the party of the year, but I guess they had intended for Wes and I to stay together long enough for that to happen. I could taste the bitterness rise again in my mouth at the thought of what I had done. No matter, it was time to mend things. Our plan was to steal that little folder and to continue the party plans ourselves and to secretly distribute all the invites via Kevin and Jan, our trusted allies.

"And three- if we wake up the baby, we're all screwed," Eli gulped as we both sneaked to the side of the house underneath a wide window. The curtains were pulled tightly closed and we couldn't peek inside.

"Then we'd better hope you're right and this is his room," I whispered, pointing at the window above us.

"If anyone calls the police on us..." Eli let the sentence form its own threat.

"This was your idea, Eli!" I hissed at her incredulously.

"Yeah, but I didn't think you'd actually go with my idea!" concern and uncertainty was now written all over her face. "That's how it's been our whole lives!"

Suddenly, a light turned on in a small window three rooms down. We abruptly stopped our bantering and pressed up against the wall underneath Jordan's window as tightly as possible. I couldn't even hear Eli's breathing and yet, how could I hear anything over my erratic heart beat? I was sure it would give us away.

We heard the slightest sound of a fridge door closing and the house was plunged back into darkness. We breathed out in relief and looked at each other, nodding in silent agreement that we should wait for whoever it was to go back to sleep before we entered Jordan's room.

I glared at Eli who slowly started to grin once more, first apologetically and then mischievously. All her worries replaced by excitement once again. I rolled my eyes at her and when we had thought we had waited enough, we stood up and softly pulled at the window.

Thankfully, Jordan hadn't locked it and it easily slide open. Eli moved to the side of the window, linking her hands together and looking up at me. She wanted to give me a lift into Jordan's room. I raised my eyebrows at her incredulously. She wanted me to go first.