Chapter 32

Ice cream and Shadows

Almost instantly after my knock, the door was opened widely by Marie, her large hazel eyes peeking at me from behind the door.

"Kitty!" she smiled, pulling me into one of her motherly hugs. "How nice of you to join us!"

"Thank you for inviting me," I smiled at her, walking into their home.

"Nonsense! You don't need an invitation. Besides I'm always craving female company around here," she told me lightly just as Wes walked in from the living room.

He smiled at me- that heart-warming smile that I liked to think was reserved only for me. He pulled me into a hug and kissed my forehead.

"Someone's really missed me" I laughed at him, wrapping my arms around him

"I think you've been spending too much time with me," he smirked. "You're starting to lose your humility."

"What is this I see?" a voice said from behind. It was Wes' older brother, Mason. "Can it be? Wes with a girlfriend?!"

I blushed involuntarily, "It's nice to see you too, Mase."

"Hey, Kitty," he grinned at me sheepishly.

"Yes, it is nice to see you, Mason," Andrew grinned as joined us from the living room. He then turned to explain to me, "He has no choice but to visit us more since they need help planning the wedding."

"Andrew, we are happy to help plan their special day," Marie scolded him.

Just the Renee came in from the kitchen and nodded in agreement with her mother-in-law.

"Hello, Kitty," she greeted me with a smile.

As we all sat, I quickly sneaked a look at Wes. He didn't mention that Renee and Mase would be here today. But he didn't return my look as he seated me on the sofa next to him

"So how are the wedding plans going?" I asked her.

"It's just started but it's on a roll," Renee smiled, casually resting her left hand on her crossed legs at an angle that allowed the light to shine off the large round diamond situated in the middle of the ring surrounded by a halo of diamonds. "And since it's halfway through the college semester, the planning process is bound to be slow."

"That's why we're here to help, honey," Marie smiled from next to her on the sofa, looking pointedly at Andrew who looked tired enough already.

"Speaking of which, should we take a look at the guest list?" Renee then looked at me. "It's going to be a big wedding."

"No doubt," Wes muttered under his breath.

With the promise of going through the guest list after dinner, Renee was disenchanted. But that was soon fixed by the extravagant amount of food. Wes' mother never disappointed when it came to her cooking. My favourite had to be the lasagne though. It was cheesy and just simply melted in my mouth. Meanwhile, Renee and Mase told us about college life.

"You'll really love it, little bro," Mase was saying over a chicken schnitzel. "The parties are at a whole new level."

"Tsk tsk," Andrew shook his head disapprovingly.

"Oh, and the education is even better," Mase amended to which we all laughed at.

Renee then diverted the topic back to the wedding. She spoke fast and excitedly about all the caterers and type of dresses she'd found and was going to pick this weekend. They were to be married in about five months as they seemed impatient to marry in the summer and had settled on spring instead.