Chapter 44 - Part I

Unborn Children and Visitations Unforeseen

It was finally the day of the play. It was the Friday in the last week of October and English Lit was our last class. Every group would be presenting their part of the play in front of the whole class. We were second up and we had practiced quite intensely. Well, I don't know about Eli and Jordan, but Wes and I certainly had practiced our part quite thoroughly.

"Childless I am; so fate has ordained," Wes had said confidently yesterday as we practiced our part for the final time.

"Wrong," I drew away from him, untangling myself from him.

"No!" Wes flung out his hand quickly. "Wait, wait! I've got this; Childless am I; so fate has ordained."

"Even more wrong," I stood up from where we lay intertwined from the couch. "It's too bad, you were doing so well, too."

"I'm sorry, I was too excited about the part after where you bear my child," he stretched onto his back. His upside down face still held the same devilish grin. My heart skipped a beat.

"W-What?" I sputtered in confusion.

"Aegeus and Medea," he explained, his eyes glinting in humour as I visibly relaxed. "After she kills her children she flees to Athens where Aegeus grants her security. She solves his problem of fertility by bearing his child and marrying him. So, really, I'm the solution to your Jason dilemma."

"It's nice to know you've got my back when I need to take vengeance on my fickle adulterous husband."

"Literally, if you know what I mean," he winked, pulling me back down with him. I groaned at yet another sexual innuendo, but nestled myself into him nonetheless.

Wes and I had been closer than ever, especially in the last week. How he had quickly become a central person in my life, I had no idea. I definitely could not imagine how it had been before I had met him. Falling for him was like a one-way road where the further I walked- the more beautiful my surroundings were. So I could only go further in- only wanted to go further. And I could not wait to see what was on the other side.

I wondered if he felt the same way. We hadn't talked much about our feelings, exactly. We were more about showing our feelings rather than explicitly stating them. Wes had a way of conveying that I meant the world to him with just one hug and one look that said that he'd always be there for me. But I needed to make sure that he knew I felt the same way, too. I had never been good with talking about emotions so I should really tell him just how I feel.

But Wes' face didn't show up in Trig class in the next lesson to appease my giddiness of seeing him. I frowned, maybe he was late? But ten minutes, half an hour, and the two lessons of Trig went by with no show from Wes.

Where are you? – K

I texted him while Mr. Rayn, as usual, was too absorbed by the oh-so-fascinating triangles he was drawing on the board that made up his whole life's work. Where was Wes?

-

"Where's Wes?" Jordan asked in surprise when he and Eli met up with me for our break.

"I don't know," I bit my lip. Wes had never texted me back. "I thought you might?"

"That's in the job criteria of being a girlfriend," Eli said. She peered into classrooms as we walked down the hallway, looking for any empty ones that we could inhabit.

"Maybe he's on the field helping out with the upcoming game?" Jordan suggested, following behind Eli into a classroom and taking out his script. "Why don't we just practice in the mean time?"