Chapter 6

After some time, I heard two pairs of soft footsteps on the grass behind us. Eli remained where she was, unaware of anything outside her own train of thoughts. I turned my head slightly to the side to see Wes and Jordan coming up behind us. 

"Is everything okay? You didn't pick up your phone." There was a crease of worry between Wes' eyebrows and he looked between Eli and I in concern. I was still annoyed at him for his remarks towards Eli, but right now, Eli was our priority. Wes gazed at me, his eyes showing me that he was over the line. I nodded in understanding to him. 

"I left it in my car," I replied. Jordan stood next to Wes silently watching Eli's quiet figure.

"What're you guys doing here?" she asked, clearing her throat and sitting up straighter. Her voice was thick from crying. 

"Just checking up on you," Wes said, looking over at Jordan who still stood there, not saying a word. His hands were still balled up into fists, as though he wasn't done punching something. Or rather, someone.

Eli looked at Jordan and to everyone's surprise she mumbled, "Thank you." 

Jordan face went from skeptical apprehension to surprise. His whole figure seemed to relax and his fingers flexed. 

"So how about we call it a night and head back home?" Wes asked. "Where did you park your car?" 

"You just want to see it," I pointed out, trying to lighten the atmosphere. He smiled guiltily. "Anyway, we walked here, I left my car at Eli's place." 

"Then we'll walk you two," Wes suggested. "After all, two young ladies shouldn't be walking around by themselves at night, especially not wearing such tempting clothing." 

I rolled my eyes, "I swear if you do anything to my car, I won't let it go easily." 

Wes laughed. I nudged Eli, pulling her up with me as I stood up. 

Eli took in a deep breath to steady herself and walked ahead. Before I could follow Jordan had already joined her, saying something to her in a low voice. 

I followed Jordan and Eli a few steps behind, giving them some privacy. Wes fell silently into step beside me. 

"Thank you," I said quietly, looking to my right at Wes. 

"What for?" he asked in surprise. 

"For standing up for us against your brother's friend," I said. "And for understanding. I know Jordan's your best friend and you're defensive over him, so I'm sorry for snapping at you. But I'm not sorry for defending Eli." 

"Well, things are already awkward between my brother and I as it is," Wes sighed, looking up at the night sky. "And I guess we're both not so different after all."

"I'm sorry for adding more strain to your relationship then," I said awkwardly. 

Wes turned to look at me, frowning. "This is odd, I'm not used to a nice Kitty. I should play the troubled card more often." 

I smiled and shoved him playfully. "And we are so not alike. At all. Nothing."

"I am also known for my great talent of denial."

I could almost sense Wes smirking in the night. "Is she alright, though?" he asked after a moment of silence. 

I sighed, "Yeah, she will be." 

"Did Matt mean much to her?" Wes asked, his eyebrows scrunching together in confusion.  

"It's not Matt she was upset over," I muttered, clenching my jaw at the memory of Eli, emotionless, dead at the beginning of the summer.