Chapter 46

"I felt like kissing the swords
because their glimmer
reminded me of your smile."
                                                  - Antora

Visitations of love and dishonour

And began it did. The first class was English Literature where Eli and I resolutely sat in our usual seats. It seemed as though Wes and Jordan had the same defiant thought. So we all sat in silence for a whole 45 minutes. Was this a game Wes was playing? Because I could be a very stubborn person if I wanted to. And this time, I was going to be selfishly stubborn.

Luckily, the next two classes were Biology and so we split ways with the boys.

"How could he just stand there next to Wes after what he did?" Eli fumed furiously once we had left for Biology and Wes and Jordan had left for physics. "It's just like with Tyler all over again!"

I felt bad. It was only the first day of school after what had happened and I had already caused a rift in our friendship with Jordan. I had also created an even bigger rift between Jordan and Eli and whatever chance they had. My stomach twisted, remembering Wes' proposition to get the two of them together. That seemed so long ago, almost a different world entirely. When had his game begun and at what point did I lose?

I opened my mouth to defend Jordan. To tell her that he'd been the one to reveal Tyler's infidelity to her in the first place, but I stopped myself quickly. That wasn't fair to Jordan. It was his secret to tell Eli and as mad as I was at his friend, I couldn't do that to him.

I couldn't wait for the day to end already. But at the same time, I was dreading it because when that final bell rang, it would mean I would have to perform the play. Would it look cowardly if I took a wrong turn to the class and skipped the play again?

I just didn't want to see Wes. Because looking at him from a distance was hard enough. But to actually have to stand up in front of him- to talk to him, to make eye contact- I didn't know how I'd react. Actually, I knew exactly how I'd react and that was what scared me the most. I knew I'd be hurt and aching but then the anger would settle in and I didn't know what would be the outcome of that. I guess there was only one way to find out. I sighed deeply as the final bell rang and Eli and I followed the rest of the class to our afterschool English Lit class.

"Good afternoon, class," Mr. Coulter was already in there, waiting for us. He looked slightly annoyed. "So since two students decided they didn't feel like performing the play last week, we are now a little behind schedule and need to catch up. So let's continue where we left off. Group two, would you please begin?"

I looked around before walking to the front of the class with Eli. Jordan and Wes shortly joined us after. Jordan smiled at me which made me feel worse for blocking his calls all weekend. But no such guilt was felt when Wes nodded at me, not quite looking me in the eyes.

Mr. Coulter coughed, ushering for us to get into formation. Jordan pulled out the props from his bag that we had prepared two week ago. Our part didn't have many props but had more dialogue than the rest. The only thing we could do was give both Eli and Jordan long skirts and scarfs to wrap around their heads to represent the Corinthian chorus women. This amused us greatly, except for Jordan of course. I, Medea, was wearing a black scarf loosely wrapped around my shoulders and over my head to indicate an older Greek woman who was grieving. Wes, Aegeus, only wore a travelling cloak, showing he was just a traveller passing by. Mr. Coulter nodded in approval at our choice of props, scribbled a few notes in the notepad in front of him and motioned for us to continue.

Wes and I awkwardly stood to the side as Eli and Jordan began their part. They stood together, facing the class and began.

"Visitations of love that come
Raging and violent on a man
Bring him neither good repute nor goodness..."

It was both a blessing and a curse that their part was so long. For one thing, it postponed the moment I had to face Wes. But on the other hand, Wes and I just stood awkwardly to the side. He just kept looking at Eli and Jordan, not once making eye contact with me.

"May dishonour AND ruin fall on the man
Who, having unlocked the secrets
Of a friend's FRANK heart, can then disown him!
HE shall be NO friend of mine."

Eli was practically shouting her part while Jordan was murmuring them awkwardly behind an uncontrollable Eli. It was at this point that I had realised Eli had completely turned her back to the class and was facing Wes with deathly glares. 17 years and this look still scared me to death. It was as if she were burning accusatory holes right through Wes. She was even pointing dramatically at Wes as she bellowed out the last line at him.

I face palmed myself. The Chorus was supposed to be a background commentary, not the main act. Why was I not surprised? Eli had finally gotten a chance to vent out her anger towards Wes that had been building up over the past few days. And a play about Medea's broken heart was the perfect outlet after all.

Silence fell across the entire classroom. Even Mr. Coulter's pen had halted from its furious strokes just moments ago. Jordan's head was snapping from Eli to Wes and to me. And back again. Finally, Wes cleared his throat and took a step towards me. Eli took a furious step towards Wes but Jordan stopped her, trying to discreetly hold her back. It was more of a wrestling match.

"All happiness to you, Medea! Between old friends there is no better greeting," Wes said loudly, turning his body to face me. His eyes were fixated on my hair, and then moved to my chin, then shoulder- trying to look anywhere but into my eyes. After what he had done, he shouldn't dare to even look at me!

Eli snorted loudly at his line. Okay, this play had definitely gone to a personal level. We were no longer the chorus, Aegeus and Medea but Eli, Jordan, Wes and I.

"All happiness to you, Aegeus, son of Pandion the wise!" Eli interrupted my line with a snicker at the word 'wise'. Was she really going to do this for the entire dialogue? I continued despite Eli's wordless commentary. "Where have you come from?"

I was looking directly at Wes as he tried to avoid eye contact. I noticed he was shifting his feet uncomfortably and rubbing the back of his head. A nervous habit I knew only too well. I shook my head before that last thought went any further. I was so glad this was the last line.

"Go now, and joy be with you. Everything is well, I will reach your city as quickly as I can, when I have carried out my purpose and achieved my wish," I said in relief. Finally, the last line!

But I forgot that was where Aegeus clasps Medea's hand before leaving. Wes reached out his hand, clasping mine into his warm and familiar touch. It was as though my body couldn't forget him. As though my body didn't want to forget his touch despite my constant attempts to erase my feelings. My hand grew tingly at his touch and a buzz of electricity ran through my arm just at the slightest squeeze of his hand. 

He finally looked at me, his eyes snapping to mine in an instant. His gray eyes bore into mine pleadingly- desperately trying to tell me something. But whatever it was reflected in my eyes instantly changed him. His gray eyes froze and fell. Was he- hurt? I didn't have long to process my thoughts because he looked back up and returned my gaze, more resolute than before. Instead of letting go of my hand, he jerked it towards his body, pulling me to him. And before I knew what was happening, he was already kissing me.