Chapter 16

Ding!

I think Wes was just becoming my personal alarm clock. If only I could put him on snooze as well. Wait, what? I groggily rolled over in defeat and checked the text message.

Two and half days with the amazingly sexy and awesome Wesley Bane- your wish has been granted.

I rolled my eyes, unwillingly smiling and sending a response.

Okay, okay I'm getting up.

I checked outside, he wasn't there yet. Good, I wanted a quick shower before going camping. I quickly showered and brushed my teeth before drying my hair. I changed into dark blue jeans and a warm crimson jumper.

I grabbed my school bag, a large duffel bag with all my clothes in it and another bag of food essentials. I dragged them all down the stairs and out the front door.

By the time I lugged everything out, Wes was already there. Although he was in Jordan's red car this time. He got out of the car and took the bags from my hands.

"Woah, we're only going for two days!" he exclaimed. Nevertheless, he lifted all the bags effortlessly to the back seats of the car.

"Good morning to you, too," I replied, amused.

"Good morning," he grinned widely in excitement. "I'm using Jordan's car so I don't have to drop mine home after school."

"You're way too excited," I commented.

"Running away?" an amused voice behind me said from the front doorway.

I jumped in surprise, "Dad! I didn't know you were home."

"Well? You never told me you were planning on running away with a boy!" Dad crossed his arms over his chest in mock seriousness, his green eyes wide. I was always shocked at just how green dad's eyes were. It was a whirlpool of a green expanse. Mom had the warm hazel eyes with flecks of colour. Somehow I ended up with hazel-green eyes, with hazel riming around the iris and green on the outside.

"No!" I protested. "We're going camping after school today for the weekend. I was going to tell you but I haven't seen you for a while, so yeah..." I trailed off awkwardly.

Wes cleared his throat before moving in front of me and extending a hand to my father.

"Wesley Bane, sir," he said. "It's nice to meet you. Not on the best circumstances, but it was nice nonetheless."

My dad laughed, "I like this kid already. Call me Adrian."

Wes nodded in response, glancing at me.

My dad looked at both of us oddly, "So, I didn't know Catherine had a boyfriend."

"He's not my boyfriend," I defended.

"She's just in self-denial," Wes said, feigning sadness.

I shoved his arm. Really? Was this the best time for jokes?

"Well you better not do anything to my little girl on your little camping trip," my father said in all seriousness. My cheeks reddened. My father had never dealt with this in the past so it was all awkward he had to now.

"It's okay dad, we're going with friends. Eli's going to be there, too," I told him. My dad visibly relaxed.

"Okay then, you kids have fun," he said. "I'm going to go get ready for work." It never looked like he wasn't ready for work. Even this early in the morning, he was wearing suit pants and dress shirt. I actually wouldn't be surprised if he slept in those clothes too.