Prologue

-Four Years Since Last Book-

Maura Pov
"Jane please be careful." I warned my wife a few hours before she went into a warehouse that a serial killer lived in. I tried to convince her out of it but she wanted to do it. I just didn't want to be the one to do her autopsy if she didn't make it. I shivered at the thought.
"I'll be okay Maura I promise." Jane gently kissed my lips and continued to eat her lunch with me.
It was awkwardly silent because of the tension in the room.
"Jane we have two little girls. A 4 year old and an 10 year old. Don't make me tell them that you are dead." I looked anxiously into Jane's brown melting eyes, trying to figure out what she was thinking.
"Come here Maura." Jane looked at me and I went over to join her on the couch that was in my office. She wrapped her arms around me and kissed me gingerly.
"I'll be okay. He doesn't even know that we are coming." Jane whispered into my ear and I snuggled close to her chest so I would feel secure. I couldn't lose her. I slowly let a tear fall down my face and a quiet sob escaped. Jane held me tight against her body in a warm and loving embrace. Jane looked at the time on the wall.
"Okay Maura, I have to go. I love you." Jane stood up and wiped the tears off my face.
She kissed me goodbye and before I knew it, she was walking out of the room, leaving me to my thoughts.
...
Jane Pov
I had honestly felt horrible leaving Maura in her office. She was so worried about me. I knew nothing would happen to me but that was never promised so she had a reason to worry. I would go home later in time to eat dinner with Maura and the girls. As I walked into the bullpen, Vince gestured to grab my gun and vest as we went out to the car. We drove to the building and prepared ourselves to go in. I took a deep breath as we started to scavenge around the warehouse when we heard creaking. I looked at Korsak and he nodded as we slowly made our way upstairs.

"Doyle what are you doing here?" I hissed at him, wary that he would and could kill me. Behind him was the killer we were after. We called him the "hooded man". We never saw his face but with anonymous tips, we knew that he was going to be here.
"I am here to protect." He grunted as he stood in front of the man.
"He's only killed people that deserved it. Like me." I slowly approached.
"I am arresting that man whether you like it or not. Don't make me do something that will hurt Maura." I continued to approach as he pulled the trigger, missing me by almost nothing. I shot back and he fell over. Vince ran over to the murder and cuffed him as I went over to Paddy. I checked for a pulse. Nothing. He was dead.
"Korsak take him in. I am going to call head quarters. He's dead." I muttered to my partner and he nodded. I sat down against the wall looking at the dead body. The morgue techs came in and took the body.
I saw Maura came rushing over to me and ask me what was happening after kissing me gently, happy to see that I wasn't in the body bag. She didn't know it was Paddy though.
"Maura. I killed Paddy Doyle." My voice went quiet as she stared at me with anger.
"You did what!?" She yelled at me angrily. She was furious. I wasn't exactly sure why. She was though.
"Maura-"
"No Jane! You know what!? I can't believe that you did that! He wouldn't of killed you!" Maura screamed at me and I knew that this wasn't going to end well.