Chapter 4

Maura Pov
I woke up the next morning and decided to take a personal day. I couldn't sleep last night and was tossing and turning all night. I sat up and grabbed my cell phone to call in. I looked at the time 9:00. I never slept that late. I managed to get at least a little sleep. My phone had a message and when I opened it it said,
Hey Maura its Beth from the library. Would you like to go to lunch?
I smiled as I texted her back saying that I could meet her today at the Dirty Robber around 1. I called BPD and told them I was taking a personal and I flopped back down on my bed. I wonder if Leah is still asleep. I listened for noises. Silence. I guess she wasn't awake. I tried to close my eyes again when I got a text from Beth again that said,
Great, see you then.
Maybe something would work out between us. I don't see why it shouldn't. I sat up again and got out of bed to go into the shower. I just needed to wake my body up so I could focus on the day ahead of me. I showered quickly and when I got out, I saw Leah on the couch watching Spongebob.
"Hey Leah do you want me to make you some breakfast?" I bent over and kissed the top of her head. She nodded eagerly and I went in the kitchen to cook pancakes.
"Leah, Mommy is meeting a friend today, would you like to go?" I asked.
She turned around. I could tell something is on her mind.
"Yes I'll go." She muttered to me as I gave her breakfast. The dirty robber wasn't really the best place for kids but there was a kid's menu so it would work out. I ate breakfast with Leah and we went to pick out her outfit for the day. She loves clothes like me so it was important to her.
"I wanna wear this!" She grabbed a pink tunic with ruffles that I had put a pair of black leggings with. I nodded and helped her get dressed.
"Mommy can you braid my hair?" Leah looked at me with pleading eyes as her dark curls that were just like Jane's, looked like a lion mane. I laughed.
"I can try Leah. You have crazy curls like Mama." I got a brush and started to do her hair.
...
Jane Pov
When I had woken up, Ellen wasn't beside me. She must've gotten up earlier. I sat up and stretched. I went into the bathroom to wash my face and found Ellen sitting against the wall crying.
"Ellen..." I whispered. I sat against the wall with her.
She leaned into my body and clutched to me like if she let go I would vanish. I held my arms around her trembling body. These past two years has been an emotional roller coaster for her. She had horrible anxiety and missed Boston where her family was.
"Why-why, is everything so hard?" She stuttered her words through tears as she muffled her face against my chest.
"It'll get easier baby, don't worry, I promise." I whispered into her dark hair.
I felt her nod.
"Can I go up to Boston during spring break?" She looked at me with such plead.
I smiled. "Of course you may. Spring break is in a few weeks, I'll get you a plane ticket. You might have to travel with the airline assistant people though because of your age." I hugged her and I saw a slight smile form on her face.
"Let's eat something before i drop you at Melony's house." I helped Ellen up and embraced her.
"I love you Ellen."
"I love you to Mama."
We went out to the kitchen and I heated up some waffles for us. We ate in silence. I was considering getting her a counselor. She needed comfort in her life.
My phone rang.
"Special Agent Rizzoli."
"Jane its Tony where are you? You usually come to work at like 8. It's 10:30." I heard his voice.
"I'll be there in less than an hour. I'm with Ellen." I answered to him.
"Okay I will see you later Janie."
"Dinozzo quit calling me that."
"Nahh."
I sighed and hung up. Ellen smiled at me as she grabbed her bag and we got in the car so she could go to Melony's and I could go to work.