Chapter 1

2 years Later
.
Jane Pov
After I had killed Paddy, Maura and I weren't talking. We had filed divorce and I had asked to be transferred to somewhere else. Everything went so fast and I had custody of our now 12 year old daughter, Ellen, while Maura had custody of our 6 year old, Leah. Leah didn't really understand what was happening but Ellen knew that she would be leaving with me. I had gotten transferred to Washington D.C. to be a special agent for NCIS. The final goodbye to Leah was hard.
...
"Mama! Where are you and sissy going!?" Leah cried as she tugged on my curls.
"It's okay sweetie, I promise i'll call. Just tell Mommy when you want to talk to me, okay?" I tried not to cry as I hugged my little girl. I saw that Maura was embracing Ellen in her arms. Ellen was crying and clutched to Maura's shoulders.
I kissed Leah.
"Mama!!!" I heard her wail as I put her down.
"Leah, I promise you that I'll always love you. I'll talk to you whenever you need me. I love you." I wiped the tears out of my daughters eyes as I kissed her one last time before Ellen came back over by me, tears streaming down her face. She crouched down to hug her little sister.
"Goodbye Leah..." she whispered as Leah continued to cry. I wrapped my arm around Ellen's shoulders as we walked outside to the rental car to drive to the airport.
....
The ache in my heart as I drove away from home that day was unbearable. I tried to forget the memory. It had been two years since I talked to Maura and I now worked at NCIS as Special Agent Rizzoli. The only person that knew about my past there was Gibbs. I trusted him completely. Ziva, Tony, and Mcgee were great but I didn't want them to know about my past. I just couldn't understand why one of my colleagues, Special Agent Kate Todd, looked identical to Maura except with auburn colored hair. I suspected that maybe Maura had a twin?
I didn't question it. Her and Maura were very different though.
...
I walked into work that day, immediately greeted by one of my partners, Tony Dinozzo. He was such a flirt.
"Why good morning Janie. You look like you fell off a cliff." He laughed at threw a french fry. I rolled my eyes and Kate spoke up in annoyance.
"Leave her alone Dinozzo. You are so childish." She smiled at me as I grinned in thanks. She had the same smile as Maura. I hated that. I sat at my desk. Ellen had meltdown last night. She missed her family. We were up for a while but when I said she could stay home, she insisted on going to school so she could see her best friend, Melony. It was nice that she trusted someone so much. But after her meltdown, I hadn't gotten much sleep. Ziva came over to my desk. Out of the whole team, I felt like Ziva was the closest.
"You okay Jane?" She smiled. Ziva never really got personal but when we cared about someone she even managed to worry.
I looked up at the former Mossed officer.
"Yeah, Ellen just wasn't feeling well." I sighed as I pushed my curls out of my face.
She smiled again.
"If you need anything I'm here." She went back to her desk and I faked a smile.
"Thanks."
Ziva knew almost knew nothing about me.
She didn't know that I was married to a woman that I loved with all my heart. She didn't know that I had another daughter whom I never got to see, she didn't even know about Hannah or Thea. The only thing that she knew was that I was a single mom, who came from Boston. I watched as she tried to braid her dark brown hair. Gibbs came in.
"Mcgee has the flu so he wont ve here. Ziva, Dinozzo, gear up and go with Ducky. There's a body in Quantico. Navy Sergeant." He ordered the two and the three of them went to look at the body.
I was sitting at my desk when I got a phone call from Ellen. I had gotten her a cell phone as she was in sixth grade so she could call Maura whenever she wanted. She rarely used it except when she was calling me, hannah, or maura.She was supposed to be in school.
I answered.
"Hey Ellen boo, what's up sweetie." I talked to my daughter and I heard sobs.
"Ellen are you okay?" I anxiously asked and Kate looked up with concern.
"Mama, I can't do it. I want to leave." She had started crying.
"Ellen, where are you honey?" I asked her and she was barely audible.
"I'm in the bathroom. I didn't know what else to do." She continued to sob.
"Ellen I'm going to come get you, you are going to come to work with me. Is that okay?"
I heard Ellen shift.
"Yeah that's fine. Thank you Ma, I love you." She whimpered.
"I love you too. I'm on my way. Clean yourself up and go to class, they will call you down when I get there. I'll see you in a little bit. Hang in there sweetie." I hung up with Ellen and looked at Kate.
"My daughter is having some anxiety problems right now. I'm going to go pick her up." I sighed and Kate understood.
"Jane, don't worry, go ahead and take care of her. We will be here." I nodded and left to get Ellen. When I got to her school, I walked into the main office.
"Hello Miss Rizzoli, how are you?" The Secretary looked at me and smiled.
"I'm okay, I'm here to pick up Ellen Rizzoli-Isles." I smiled as the Secretary called the classroom to dismiss Ellen. I signed her out and we left to get back in my car where we sat for a moment.
"Thanks Ma, I just couldn't do it anymore, they were talking about family." Ellen started to cry again and wiped her eyes. I squeezed her hand and we went back to work.
When I pulled into the parking lot we sat there for a moment.
"Ellen, I don't think you've met anyone here yet. Just to let you know, they don't know about Mom or Leah or Hannah. I haven't felt comfortable telling them. The only one that knows this information is Gibbs. He is my boss and he has silver hair. You will be able to recognize him." I looked at Ellen.
"Okay Ma, I understand." She smiled weakly.
"And a member on my team looks exactly like Mom. I think Mommy had a twin sister that she didn't know about. I just thought I should warn you about that so you could prepare yourself." I kissed my daughter's forehead. She nodded and got out of the car, leaning into my hip as we walked inside.
"Back guys. And this is my daughter, Ellen." I went into the squad room and watched Ellen's eyes go wide as she looked at Kate. She quickly snapped out of it and introduced herself.
"Hello, I'm Ellen." She smiled and leaned into me.
"Hi Ellen, it's pleasureful to finally meet you." Ziva grinned and I laughed. She always messed up her English. Ellen nodded and Tony smirked.
"Ellen do you want some pizza? Cuz you know-"
"Dinozzo. Leave her alone!" Kate interrupted him. She came over and shook hands with Ellen who looked at Kate with amazment in her eyes. When Kate sat back down Gibbs gestured toward Ellen.
"Cmon Ellen I have a friend for you to meet." Ellen gave me a kiss and followed him. He was going to take her down to Abby. I was actually grateful for that. Him and Abby were great with kids in general. And it was nice that Gibbs knew what was going on with my life. At least it want a secret to someone.