Chapter 9

Maura Pov
That day while I was at work that day,I was very self conscious about the bruises on my body. I guess I managed to cover them up though because no one asked about them. I hated having to deal with Beth but for the first time in a long time I honestly didn't know what to do. I continued with an autopsy I was working on to distract myself. Leah was still not feeling well and in a way, it was good that she was with Hannah. I didn't want my daughter around Beth. Hannah had asked me about Beth but I avoided the questions. I finished the autopsy and packed up to go home. To my dismay, Beth was home and in the kitchen.
"Hey Babe." She was looking through a photo album of mine.
"Who is this?"
She pointed to Jane.
"My ex wife. I told you already." She looked up from the album and squinted her eyes at me.
"Did you guys have sex?"
I was taken aback.
"Yes we did."
"A lot?"
I paused. Jane never really forced sex on me. It just kinda happened so I nodded.
"Well better make up for the time lost!" She closed the album and dragged me upstairs. As her hands removed my clothes she looked up and down my body and smiled.
"Maura, you are so beautiful." She laughed at her remark as she threw me onto the ground. I could feel the pain swelling in my body as she finally stopped. I stood up to shower.
"Maura I am showering first."
Beth pushed passed me and went into the bathroom. I sighed and looked at myself. I looked like shit. And it wasn't even an exaggeration. I looked awful. I sighed and I just hoped that spring break would come faster.
....
Spring Break
Ellen Pov
The week was finally over and I was finally able to go up to Boston to see everyone again. I couldn't wait! I felt bad leaving Ma behind in D.C tho because she would be alone. I promised to call her every night though so she would have someone to talk to. We gave my things to the airport people and continued to the gate. Mama was allowed to stay with me until boarding happened. I rested me head on her shoulder while we were sitting on the bench waiting for my flight.
"You have fun up there okay? Tell everyone I said hello." Ma looked at me and smiled as I nodded. Anxiety was slowly building its way up though at the thought of leaving her here. She was the one always there for me and now I felt as if I was leaving her. It was only for about a week or two. I would miss her. The announcement overhead said that passengers could board. Me and Ma stood up. I could feel tears welling in my eyes and she noticed immediately. She wrapped her arms around me and I squeezed her tight trying not to cry.
"You are going to have a great time. I promise. Call me when you land okay? I love you Ellen. Have fun." She let go of me and gave me a kiss as a friendly woman who was one of the worker people that passed out snacks and stuff took me to my seat. I wasn't told to put my phone on airplane mode yet so I sent a picture to Ma of the empty seat next to me.
I typed: there's still time for you to come.
She immediately responded: that's probably someone's seat, I love you sweetie have a good time.
I put my phone away and let the plane take off. Ma was right about the seat. Some elderly woman sat next to me and slept the whole trip so it was pretty quiet. I was told that my grandmother was going to be at the airport to pick me up. It would be nice to see her again. As the plane landed I woke the woman next to me and she thanked me as we shuffled out of the cramped space. I got off and looked around and saw the familiar face of Mama's mother, my grandmother smiling at me.
"Grammy!" I smiled and ran over to hug her.
"Ellen! It's so good to see you!! Did you have a good flight?" She let go of the hug and I nodded.
"It's really nice to be in Boston. I really missed everyone. And Mama says that she loves and misses you."
I looked at Grammy and she smiled. We walked out to the car together after getting my bags and I told her about everything at school, my friends, my best friend Melony, and everything else. I couldn't wait to see everyone else. Especially Mom.