Chapter 29

Jane Pov
The closer we got to work, the more nervous Maura was getting. I have a feeling it's mixed emotions about learning about her identical twin, leaving behind her life, and Hope Martin. Hope has some explaining to do that's for sure. Maura still had obvious marks of damage on her body. Everyone knew what had happened to her. I thought back on the photos that were taken of us. I shuddered at the thought of that.
I looked over at the blonde.
"Are you okay?" I placed my hand on top of hers and she laced her fingers through mine.
"I don't know Jane." She sighed and looked in the mirror. The bruises were finally starting to fade a little which was good but it was her emotional health I was more concerned about. I was considering putting her in therapy. We got to my work and got out of the car. I kissed her temple in reassurance and continued to hold her hand until we got inside where she had to face everyone.
"Jane. How are you guys?" Ziva looked at me and I nodded.
"Been better but it's getting there." I sat down and pulled up a chair for Maura to sit in. She was obviously uncomfortable. Gibbs came upstairs in the squad room and looked at Maura.
"Ducky wants to talk to you."
She tilted her head.
"Okay. May I ask who Ducky is?" I heard her ask Gibbs as they walked down to autopsy. As the two walked away, Kate came up on the elevator.
"Jane, how are you? How's Maura?" She gave me a nervous but warm smile.
"She's okay. She will be back to normal as soon as the girls come back." I responded, aware of the slight awkwardness. She must be full of questions and completely confused. I wondered where Tony and Mcgee were. They must've been on a case or something. Either way, I actually missed Dinozzo's ridiculous jokes. At least it wouldn't be as awkward.
...
Maura Pov
"Are you offering me a job to work in autopsy with you?" I smiled at the older gentleman whose name was Dr. Donald Mallard. He was more known as "Ducky" as I had found out.
"Mm, yes my dear. Would you accept?" He held his hand out and I shook it. Glad to be able to continue to be working with dead people and not a doctor like I had originally planned. The job had been settled and Agent Gibbs took me back upstairs. I couldn't wait to tell Jane. We got upstairs and I immediately saw Kate. I felt my face flush. I wasn't sure why I felt so insecure about her. Could it be because she's my sister? Not only that but, my identical twin!? It was more than likely something to do with the fact that she saw me at my most vulnerable state. We made eye contact and she politely smiled. I smiled also.
"How are you Maura?" She asked me.
I shrugged my shoulders.
"I honestly don't know. I guess it'll just take time." She nodded and I sat in the chair next to Jane. While Everyone was doing some form of paperwork, Jane and I were working on transferring all my information and such. This included finding new doctors, dentists, etcetera. I was fine with all that until it came up about a new OB-GYN. Jane glanced at me as she opened the email from mine. It contained all of the documentary that involved me. It had also said that it recommended to go to a new one sooner, rather than later so that I get comfortable with whomever this new person will be. Jane read it as well and took my hand under the desk and gently squeezed it. I was finally very comfortable with the OB had now. Getting a new one seemed scary. And it was something I didn't want to do. Gibbs had gotten a call and he went on the elevator. Probably to the lab or to autopsy. It was pretty quiet until Abby came bounding up the stairs and came skipping into where we were.
"Hey guys!" She laughed and sat at Gibbs desk as we all said hello to her.
"What's up Abby?" Kate looked at the goth along with the rest of us.
"Well, do you ladies want to go out to eat tomorrow night? That diner is having some sort of special for big groups and we haven't really gotten a chance to just chillax!" She seemed excited about it so we all agreed to go. Maybe it would break the ice with me a little bit.