Chapter 6

3 Weeks Later
Maura Pov
Over the past few weeks, Beth and I had become "a couple" and she decided to move in with me. I didn't mind her moving in though because she wasn't taking it too far. Leah hated her though. I heard her mumble things to herself and I couldn't help but feel bad about everything. At least spring break was coming up for Ellen so she could come visit me. How would she feel about this? I didn't know but I hope she was better about it than Leah.
It was late at night and Beth had said she was going out for a little while. It must've been around midnight when I heard her staggering in.
"Maura!!!" She was obviously drunk as I hurried down to the kitchen to tell her to quiet down.
"Beth quiet down a little, Leah is asleep." I quickly said to her in a hushed voice.
"No one tells me when to be quiet! Do you understand?!" I felt a sting on my face as her hand whipped across my cheek. I raised my hand to my face. I nodded.
I was terrified. She had never hit me or threatened me before. Maybe it was because she was drunk? She took out another beer and began chugging it Down.
"Beth, let's go to sleep. It's late." I rubbed my eyes as she stared at me momentarily.
She came up to me and took my wrist and dragged me upstairs.
As we came into my room, I heard the doorknob lock. She had locked it.
"Take off your clothes Maura." Beth stood against the door.
"Beth its late can we please go to sleep?" I pleaded as I felt another sting to my face. This time with a fist. I fell to the floor and started to sob as I took off my pajamas little by little.
Beth was watching me from the corner of the room. Why was she being so violent?
She came over and ripped of my panties and smiled. I felt so violated. Jane would've never layed a hand on me. I gently trembled in fear as Beth kissed over my body gently after she layed me on the bed. Afterwards she didn't do anything except pass out on the floor. I didn't want to touch her and I quickly put pajamas back on. I sat back on the bed with my hands over my face and started to cry. What have I gotten myself into? I would have to cover the bruise on my face with makeup which wasn't a problem except if I told her to leave then I feel like she would just beat on me again. Maybe it was an accident. Maybe she didn't ever mean to harm me but she was drunk so that was possible. I convincingly thought that over and over to make me feel better. I went to check on Leah to make sure she didn't hear me crying or anything that was going on. She was sound asleep thank goodness. I went downstairs to sit on the couch because I couldn't sleep. We hadn't even had sex yet so that was way to far. I hugged my knees and turned on the television. I decided to watch the news.
I was up for a while debating on what I should do. Call Hannah or BPD? Call Jane? I couldn't do any of that. I doubt Jane even wants to talk to me. What would happen to Beth if I called someone. I heard shuffling upstairs and down came Beth looking at me. She sat next to me on the couch and wrapped her arm around me.
"I'll get help." She muttered under her breath.
I nodded stiffly as she planted a kiss on my lips. She still smelled like alcohol. I didn't want her to touch me but I guess I didn't have a choice. She went to sleep next to me and I eventually drifted off as well from exhaustion.
...
Jane Pov
As the weeks went by, Ellen was growing more excited to see Maura. I had already gotten her plane ticket and my Mom was going to pick her up from the airport when she landed in Boston. I tried finding more information on Kate but failed except for the fact that she had an older sister. Apparently she didn't know she was adopted. Maybe.
I sat at my desk trying to decide when to tell Kate.
I still decided not to say anything.
"Kate, we don't have a case. I'm hungry and everyone else is sick. Let's go to lunch." I stood up and grabbed my keys as Kate smiled and followed me.
"Where should we go?" I pressed the elevator.
"Wherever is fine. We can go to the diner though down the street they have some good food." Kate responded.
"Okay sounds good."
We drove to the diner and got a booth and talked about some things. I never really got the chance to know Kate on a personal level. It was weird talking to someone identical to my ex wife that had an opposite personality.
"Is Ellen excited to go back to Boston?"
I smiled.
"Yes she misses it there and can't wait to see everyone."
"Does her father live up there?"
I froze momentarily. The truth had to come out eventually.
"No Ellen was adopted because her father murdered her mother and then killed himself. She's going up to see her other mother. My ex wife..." my words were quiet because I didn't know how Kate would take it.
She tilted her head.
"I didn't know that you were married." She took it completely normally.
"Yeah. We were married for a while. I have two other daughters as well. One is biological and the other one was 17 when her parents were killed in a fire so she needed a legal guardian. She's married and has a child now." I smiled at the thought of Thea.
"How come I didn't know this?"
"The only person that knew was Gibbs and now you I guess." I laughed gently as I ate my food. It was nice telling someone else.
"Howd you have a biological child if you were married to a woman?" Kate looked at me.
"There was this procedure done that turned my eggs into a sperm like thing that was implanted into Maura. We could only have girls because of it but we didn't mind." Kate nodded and we continued to eat our food before we left and went back to work.