Chapter 33

Kate Pov
As I was pulling into the parking lot of the restaurant that Abby invited us too, I immediately saw Jane's car pull in, in front of me. I parked next to them and had to take a double take. Jane Rizzoli didn't look like Jane Rizzoli. They got out of their car a moment before I did and I joined them.
"Hey guys." I greeted them.
"Hey Kate." They answered almost in unison.
"Jane, you look nice. I don't think I've ever seen you in a dress...or with straight hair." I looked at the special agent and smiled. She laughed and answered, "Well it wasn't my idea." She jokingly glared at Maura. I still couldn't believe that I had an identical twin. Her hair was lighter than mine though. I dyed mine darker because I thought it looked better on me but even though she had the same face, her hair was gorgeous and flowed beautifully with the way she walked. The rest of the walk to the restaurant was quiet until we walked in and Maura stopped suddenly and put her arm out to stop Jane from continuing.
"Woah Maura. What's wrong?" Jane asked her.
"Jane. She's here. Hope is here."
Maura whispered as she glanced at me and back at Jane before she started talking again.
"Kate, Hope is our biological mother. The one who never told you or me that we were twins." I looked around for this woman that was supposedly my mother. Jane noticed me looking and briefly pointed at a woman with honey blonde hair. I nodded.
"I think we are the first ones here out of the group so let's just sit at a large booth and wait for everyone." Jane motioned us toward the closest large booth and I sat across from Jane and Maura.
"What is she doing here Jane?" Maura glanced over at Hope briefly before quickly coming back to us.
"I have no idea." Jane looked suspicious while we tried to figure out why this woman was here. Sure enough, it didn't take long for Hope to notice us. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath as she walked over to our table. Maura looked at me and we locked eyes momentarily until we heard a soft voice.
"Oh, Jane, Maura and....Caitlin, How lovely to see you." She had a nervous smile. I could tell that Jane didn't like her one bit.
"Hello Hope. You have some explaining to do. And she goes by Kate. Special Agent Kate Todd." Jane looked at the woman glaringly while she spoke.
Hope nodded.
"May I sit?" She spoke quietly. Jane rolled her eyes as she scooted over to make room.
"Before you say anything. What are you doing here?" Maura asked. I was quite uncomfortable in this situation. I saw Abby and Ziva come in through the door. I motioned them over and Hope and Jane turned to see who I waved to.
"Hi guys, who is this?" Abby cheerfully said as her and Ziva sat next to me.
Hope looked at me and then Maura.
"I'm Dr.Hope Martin. Maura and Caitl-- Kate's biological mother." She nervously answered the penetrating eyes of everyone.
Ziva looked at me and whispered, "Oh."
Jane continued her conversation.
"Like Maura said, why are you here?" Jane's gravelly voice was intimidating.
"I'm visiting some friends. I was actually hoping to run into you."
She answered Jane and the dark haired woman rolled her eyes.
This was very uncomfortable for the most of us so I spoke up.
"Jane, could Maura, Hope and I go somewhere to talk? That way you guys can order and we will work things out." Jane glanced at Maura and Maura nodded briskly.
"What do you guys want?" Abby looked at me and my twin.
"Jane, I've never been here, order for me please." Maura answered and I had to think.
"Surprise me." I winked and Abby giggled and nodded. We left the table and Maura kept glancing at me.
...
Maura Pov
"Are you okay?" I whispered quietly to Kate. She seemed extremely uncomfortable and nervous. She glanced back at me from the corner of her eye and nodded. We sat at a booth with Hope Martin. Kate and I sat across from her.
"Look girls-" Hope started talking but Kate quickly cut her off.
"Why would you do what you did?! I don't care that I never found out that I was adopted. It's the fact that you didn't tell Maura!" Her voice was shaky and I really wanted to hug her but the hug would have to wait.
"I am so sorry for all the confusion and trouble I caused." Hope briefly said and took a deep breath.
"I didn't know what happened to you Kate. I only knew where Maura had gone." She looked at Kate.
I spoke up finally.
"But you could've told me about her. Even if you thought she was dead. I had the right to know." I looked at Kate. She was trembling a little bit. She looked at Hope.
"You need to go." Kate sternly said to Hope before she stood up and walked to the ladies room.
I glanced at my biological mother before whispering to her, "She's right." I went up to check on Kate.
The bathroom was a one stall thing and so the door was locked so I knocked. Kate opened the door and I could tell she was crying a bit.
I allowed myself in and the door shut behind me before I locked it. Kate sank to the floor and I sat next to her before she slowly started to sob again.
"Maura, my whole life is a lie." She looked at me and without thinking, I embraced her in a hug.
"My parents, my sister...my family.... none of it is real." She gently started to sob again.
"It may not be blood related but those people you mentioned are your family. They are the one's that care about you. I have two adopted daughters. Ellen and Hannah. Both had tragedies with their parents. Jane and I took them in and Hannah was 17 so she doesn't call either of us 'Mom' but we are family. Even if she isn't our blood." I tried comforting Kate and it seemed to work. After she calmed down and wiped off the smeared makeup on her face, we went back out to our friends to have a pleasant dinner.