Chapter 10

Ellen Pov
I probably talked Grammy's ear off about how I've been but by the time I shut my mouth, we were pulling into my Mom's driveway.
"I have to go back to work at the Dirty Robber but I'll stop in later. Do you have everything?" Grammy looked at me sweetly.
I nodded.
"Thanks Grammy. It was so good to see you!" I shut the car door and went to the house door. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to knock or just open the door. I decided to knock. I was standing for a minute when I heard the door unlock and a small little girl with dark curls opened the door. It was Leah. I smiled gently and a huge grin formed across her face.
"Ellen!! Ellen!! Ellen!!" She yipped really loudly as she wrapped her arms around my waist in an attempt to hug me. I was tall so I just picked her up and squeezed her.
"Leah, I'm so happy to see you I missed you so much!" I whispered into my sister's ear.
"I missed you! Mommy said you were coming and so I got your old room ready!" She took my hand and I quickly grabbed the suitcase before she dragged me to my old room. I layed down on the bed and Leah crawled next to me.
"Can I sleep in here with you?" She looked over at me and smiled.
"Of course you can. Where's Mom?" I looked back at my sister. She looked alot like Ma.
"She is upstairs I think."
Before I could say anything, I heard a familiar voice.
"Leah, who was at the door? You aren't supposed to answer it unless I know who it is." My mom came around the corner and saw me and Leah. I stood up and ran over to her and hugged her. She flinched slightly as if she was in pain.
"Ellen..." she whispered gently as she held me tight.
"I've missed you so much Mom." I leaned back from the hug to look at her face. My smile soon turned to worry when I saw she had a black eye.
"Mom, what happened to your face?" I got concerned.
"She is very clumsy and tends to numb into things alot." Some brunette came behind Mom and looked at me.
"You must be Ellen. I am Beth." I shook her hand. I was confused about who she was.
"Ellen, this is my girlfriend. She lives here with us." I nodded. Mom didn't seem to like saying girlfriend. Beth seemed friendly but also very suspicious. I already didn't like her. I kept a smile and hugged my Mom again. It was so good to finally see her. I was worried about how she looked though.
...
Maura Pov
Seeing Ellen was so nice. She was turning into a beautiful young lady and I couldn't be prouder. We sat in the kitchen and was talking awhile when she realized she had to call Jane.
"Ellen I wanna talk to Mama too!" Leah followed Ellen into the living room.
"Hi Mama! I forgot to call but then I remembered!" I heard her talk to Jane and I smiled as her and Leah were talking to her through speaker phone. The first thing Ellen noticed when she saw me was the bruise on my face. It worried me that she noticed it. She didn't seem very fond of Beth though. When her and Leah hung up with Jane they came back over and Leah continued to pull on her sister's sleeve.
Ellen picked her up so she could sit on her lap.
"Mommy! I'm hungry!" Leah looked at me and I laughed.
"Ellen would you like something to eat?" She nodded gently and started to play with Leah's hair.
"How does chicken pieces sound?" I looked at my daughters.
"That sounds great mom thanks." Ellen smiled and Leah nodded enthusiasticly.
"Ellen can you braid?" Leah looked at Ellen and Ellen laughed.
"Why yes I can. Go get me a brush and a hair band." Leah jumped off of Ellen and went to find hairties and a brush.
"We missed you." I came over and sat with Ellen as their food was cooking. I could tell she was still looking a the black and blue on my face.
"I missed you too. I really hated being so far away." Ellen smiled.
"Mom, how'd you get that bruise? Beth said you are clumsy but I don't believe that for a second." She looked at me while I tried to think of an excuse that wouldn't sound like I was being abused because if Ellen found out, Beth could do something to her and I didn't want that.
"Beth tripped on me and caused me to fall into her shoulder." I felt my skin itch while I tried to lie to Ellen.
"Oh." She didn't sound convinced but dropped the subject.
It was quiet for a moment.
"Hannah is coming over with Dorthea tomorrow and we are going shopping." I saw Ellen smile. Her and Thea were really close when they were younger.
"Sounds great!" She took out her phone and showed me a photo of her and Thea when they were younger that Hannah had sent her a while back.
"I haven't seen her in forever." She grinned as she put her phone away when Leah came running back where we were with hairties and a hairbrush.
"We could straighten your hair if you want." Ellen looked at Leah and the the six year old's eyes went wide and she nodded.
"Mom where is the straightener?" Ellen laughed as she picked Leah up.
"In my bathroom top drawer. Your food will be ready in about a half hour." I smiled as they went off to do their thing.