Chapter 18

Maura Pov
It broke my heart to see Jane go. I wanted to run after her and tell her to stay. But I couldn't. I had to keep the children safe. There had to be something I could do. I was planning on asking Jane about moving to D.C by or with her anyway. I had to go down after her. I decided to discuss this with Angela.
"Girls, we are going to go to Grammys house." They followed me out to the car and we left.
I wouldn't tell Jane my plan because she would convince me not to go but I was going no matter what. We got to Angela's and they immediately went to go play outside as I went inside to talk to her.
"Jane is in trouble." I sat Down at the worried looks that the older Rizzoli was giving me.
"What do you mean?" Her voice was shaky.
"NCIS got a ransom note and photo and her and Ellen had crosses on their hands and eyes. It had some letter attached to it which leads them to think that Hoyt had a child or another apprentice." I sighed.
"I'm going to fly out there. She came back for me. I have to go there."
Angela froze.
"Maura-"
"Angela I have to. Can you watch the girls for me?"
Angela nodded and I thanked her and said goodbye to them before heading back to the house to pack some things and head out. I could feel the rush of anxiety as I got to the airport and got an extra seat on the plane. What would she do when she saw me? How would this play out for us? I looked out the window and watched the sky as the plane flew. The trip wasn't very long and I was in D.C. in no time. As I got off, I realized I had to rent a car.
I texted Angela to let her know that i landed safely. I walked to the area where I was able to rent a car and got one for a few days. I could feel the eyes of people staring at my bruised face in question as I walked around. I sighed as I finally got in the car and looked at myself in the mirror debating on how to approach this. I would go to NCIS headquarters and find Jane. But what would I say? I thought back to the beginning of our friendship when Hoyt was after her and we were both still considered straight and she looked at me and asked 'are we having a sleep over or is this your way of saying you're attracted to me?' It's hard to believe how long ago that was. I smiled at the memory and started to drive towards the building using the GPS in my phone. When I pulled in and parked I sat there for a moment. Would she even want to see me? I got out of the car and walked into NCIS. Apparently I had to get a visitor's pass because I didn't have an ID. I got one and headed up the elevator to where I was directed to the "squad room" when I asked about Agent Rizzoli.
I got off the elevator and saw and saw the back of a woman with auburn colored hair. I stepped closer.
"Um excuse me I am looking for-"
I went silent as the woman turned around. She looked just like me. Identical except for our hair.
"Who are you?"
Her voice was staggery. She was obviously just as confused as I was.
My voice was shaky as I spoke.
"Dr. Maura Isles, Chief Medical Examiner of the Common Wealth of Massachusetts." I was talking very nervously and stuttering but the woman was still staring at me.
"Kate apparently someone is here-" a man with brown hair and brown eyes came around the corner and stared at me and the woman, who's name was Kate presumably, in utter shock.
"Kate. Who's this?" The man looked at me and smiled a flashy smile trying to flirt obviously and Kate smacked his arm.
"Tony this is no time for your stupid games. I don't know who this is." She looked at me again as my eyes traveled her figure. Even her body was the same.
"Why are you here and what do you want?" She and I both were obviously very uncomfortable in this situation.
"I'm here to see Jane Rizzoli." I quietly looked around and figured out which desk was hers because I saw a picture of Ellen and Leah on it.
"Wait a minute. You said you were from Massachusetts?" Kate looked at me and I nodded.
"Before I say anything why do you want Jane Rizzoli?" She studied me and I wandered over to the picture of our daughters and picked it up.
"These are our daughters. Ellen and Leah." Kate's eyes widened as it looked like she was piecing everything together and Tony's did the same.
"You are Maura?!" Tony stood up.
"Yes. Why?"
"As in Jane's ex, Maura?"
I nodded.
"That's why the bruising is on your face. Jane came home from Boston earlier today from making sure that you were okay because some woman was abusing you." Kate looked at me and I shifted uncomfortably.
"What's wierd is that Jane never said anything about us being identical. Why are we identical though? I didn't have a twin."
"Well studies show that even if someone claims they weren't a twin, they could've been adopted and never had any tests or anything. It's quite frequent now a days." Statistics were always there for me to say which made talking a little easier for me.
"Jane will be back soon. She went to see a body." Tony sat down and I thanked him as I sat at Jane's desk, awaiting her return.