Chapter 13

Jane Pov
I rushed home as fast as I could. Why'd I even care so much? It's not like we've been talking. I haven't talked to her for over two years! Yet here I was preparing to catch a flight to Boston. Maybe it was for Ellen ans Leah's sake? I don't know but not certainly felt like it was more than that. I drove to the airport and hurried inside, hoping that I could get on a flight. Sure enough there was an extra seat open that I took gladly. I texted Ellen that I was on my way and to hang tight. I out my phone on airplane mode and the plane took off. I couldn't figure out why she meant so much to me and why I cared so much. I mean I guess I still loved her. She still made me angry about what happened because what she got angry about was stupid. The plane ride felt like forever as I anxiously sat in my seat. When the plane finally landed and I got off, I called Ellen.
"Hey Ellen I'm in Boston. What's going on?"
"You made it!!" Her voice softened.
"Beth is beating on Mom and mom looks like a mess. She wouldn't tell me what happened and when she went to lay down, Beth came in and slapped her awake. Basically she's abused Ma and you are the only person that I felt could help." I was silent for a moment trying to imagine Maura getting pounded with fists. The image haunted me.
"Where are you now?" I asked Ellen as I grabbed my bag and rented a car.
"Hannah took us out to her house for a little while since Mom wasn't feeling well."
"So Mom is home alone then?"
"Yes."
"Okay Ellen, I'll see you soon, love you."
"Love you too Ma."
We hung up and I started to drive through town. Everything came back to me. Everything was the same. I found the old road that Maura lived on, where we used to live together and turned onto it. It brought back so many memories. I saw the familiar house and pulled into the driveway.
As I went to the front door, I tried preparing myself for what I was going to say.
The door was unlocked so I allowed myself in. I looked around and it was almost exactly how I had left it. I wandered toward mine and Maura's old room and creaked open the door to find her laying there in a ball as if she needed to protect herself. I took a deep breath and walked into the room and crouched next to my ex wife. Her hair was in her face and I slowly pushed it behind her ear to see the bruising. She flinched at my touch and started to tremble in fear. Her face looked awful. It was pale and half of it was purple. She started to whimper.
"Beth please-"
I cut her off.
"I'm not Beth, it's okay." I whispered gently and I saw Maura's body freeze.
"Jane?.." she slowly opened her eyes and looked at me and had a look of confusion on her face.
"What are you doing here?" I could tell she was trying not to cry.
"I'm here for your safety. We can talk about it later." I paused for a moment as I looked at Maura's face some more. It broke my heart.
"Maura?" I helped her sit up and continued to crouch by her.
"Yes?" She looked down at her hands as if ashamed to look at me.
"What did that woman do to you?" I tried gaining eye contact but failed as I saw a tear roll down her face. I stood up and wrapped my arms around her gently. She allowed me to and the top of her head leaned into my chest as she whimpered and sobbed quietly.
"Maura, I want to see what this woman done to you." I whispered gently as she slid out of my arms. She nodded and stood up as her trembling arms took off her shirt. She was wearing a bra but I was able to see most of the damage done. Her sides were bruised and marked along with her collarbone and top of her breasts. It looked like it went down further under her bra. As I looked along her body, my hand held hers as she was crying. She was beaten everywhere.
I looked at Maura.
"Why'd you let it get so bad?"
She didn't answer and looked at the floor I stood up and unhooked her bra. When it fell, I looked at her now bare chest. Her breasts were so violently black and blue it made me cringe.
"I'm sorry Jane." Maura whispered so quietly I could barely hear her.
I looked at her bruised and battered body.
"It's okay baby doll."