Chapter 5

Jane Pov
After I dropped Ellen off, I went to NCIS. Maybe Gibbs or someone would know about riding airplanes as a minor. I sighed and walked into the building. I felt bad not going with Ellen but I felt that she would want her time with Maura. As I took the elevator up to the squad room I got a call.
"Rizzoli."
"Hey Jane, I'm getting lunch for everyone and I just pulled into subway. What do you want?"
The voice took me off guard for a moment.
"Maura!?"
"Who's Maura? It's Kate." Kate questioned and I immediately came up with an excuse.
"Oops sorry Kate I thought you were someone else." I paused.
"Jane I worry about you sometimes." Kate laughed gently.
"Now what do you want for lunch?"
I laughed with her for a moment. That was a close call.
"Umm just a ham and cheese is great. Thanks Kate."
We hung up as I sat at my desk. How could I think that was Muara? I haven't talked to her in forever. I didn't want to either but that really caught me off guard. I looked at the screen where pictures of the victim were.
"Janie it's about time, I thought you ditched us." Tony sarcastically laughed as I glared at him.
"Dinozzo! What are you doing!?" Gibbs came up behind him and slapped his head and I laughed at him.
"Working Boss. Just making sure that the other Italian wasn't goofing off." Tony smiled. He had a prize winning smile.
"Tony, zoom in at the picture frame." I stood up and pointed. I really didn't know much about the case because I wasn't working on it.
"There's a little carving of an infinity sign. In the frame." I looked at Gibbs who was now looking at what I was talking about.
"I'll call Ziva and tell her to examine the house again. She's currently at the victims parents house." Tony picked up his phone and called her. I needed someone so I looked at Gibbs.
"Boss can I have a word?"
I looked at him and he nodded as he gestured toward the elevator where most of the talks between him and people took place.
I followed him and he stopped the elevator.
"Whats up Jane." He looked at me with his bold eyes.
"There's actually a lot of things. For one, Ellen is a mess. She wants to go up to Boston to visit Maura. I told her I'd let her go but I don't know much about minors traveling alone."
I paused as he just listened to me.
"And then lemme show you something." I took my phone out and found a photo I had taken of Maura the day of our wedding. She was looking over the bridge with a big smile on her face as the wind blew her hair.
I faced my phone toward my boss.
"Who do you think this is?" I continued to hold up the phone.
Gibbs examined the photo.
"Looks like Kate. Except with light hair. But she isn't married and that is a wedding dress isn't it?" Gibbs was looking at me.
"Thats Maura. That's my ex wife who lives in Boston with my other daughter." I looked at the photo smiling slightly at Maura's beautiful face.
Gibbs sipped his coffee.
"She was adopted. Her biological parents were mob boss Paddy Doyle and Hope Martin." I sighed and Gibbs raised his eyebrows at my statement.
"Paddy Doyle is her father?"
I nodded.
"Her biological mother was told by him that Maura was dead. That she died at birth. I am wondering if Kate is Maura's twin that nobody except Paddy would know about." I paused for a moment. "I realised something weird was up the first day I came here and Kate was identical."
Gibbs nodded.
"Paddy Doyle SR is in Florida Penitentiary. I need to call Paddy." I looked at my boss.
"Jane, how are you going to tell Kate?" My boss was serious as his piercing eyes looked into mine.
"Well I wasn't going to tell her because I didn't think that-"
"Rizzoli, you need to think about how you are going to handle this before you decide what to do." He sternly spoke to me and I nodded. This could wait another day to tell Kate and to talk to Paddy. It was nice that someone knew though.
"Jane, go home. You need to think about this." Gibbs tried to order me.
"But I want to work! I want to investigate this infinity sign and what it was doing!" I didn't want to leave.
"Jane-"
"I am staying! I'm sorry Gibbs but I am staying to do my job."
"Rizzoli. You broke rule number six."
"Don't screw your partner?" I forgot his list of rules.
"No, never apologize! Go back to work." We started the elevator and I had a firm victory smile as I went back to my desk, just in time to see Kate walking in with our lunch.
...
Maura Pov
By the time one-o-clock rolled around, me and Leah were at the Dirty Robber, waiting for Beth. I saw her come in. She saw me and waved. Her skinny jeans and blouse hugged her body beautifully as her brown hair fell on her shoulders. Leah glared at Beth as the woman had sat across from me.
"Hi Maura glad you could make it." She smiled nicely as she checked over my body. I could tell she was checking me out.
"Who is this lovely girl?" Beth smiled at Leah.
"I'm Leah." My daughter seemed annoyed and I looked apologetically at Beth.
"This is my daughter. She's in kindergarten." I smiled.
As I gave Beth and Leah a menu.
Leah pointed to chicken nuggets.
"Mommy I want that." Leah closed the menu and slammed it down.
"Leah. Stop being badly behaved please." I tried to sound nice to my six year old.
"Fine." She muttered and glared at Beth.
It was awkwardly silent for a few moments before Leah spoke up.
"You can't replace Mama." She crossed her arms and huffed. Beth smiled.
"I have no intention of doing that sweetie don't worry."
"DONT CALL ME SWEETIE!" Leah stood up and huffed over to the bar counter where Korsak was. I looked at him pleadingly. He seemed willing to watch her while I talked to Beth.
"Sorry about that. She just misses my ex." I sighed and Beth seemed to understand.
"Does she ever get to see your ex?"
"No. Jane and our other daughter moved to Washington DC. My other daughter, Ellen mught be coming up for spring break though which would nice. I miss her a lot." I smiled gently as we continued to talk. This actually might just work out after all.