Chapter 14

Maura Pov
I couldn't believe Jane had come back. Who told her? I had my suspicions but couldn't come to a conclusion. She had me standing without a shirt up as her fingers ran along the bruises. I winced a few times. She wasn't touching me in a harmful or sexual way though. She wanted to see what Beth had done to my body. She gently and sympathetically ran her hand along the scar on my breasts as she saw the black and blue surrounding everything.
I stood there crying and stayed silent as she handed me a sweatshirt and slowly slid off my sweatpants. I couldn't believe I was letting her get so close. I guessed I still loved her and trusted her. My legs were awful looking. She sat me down on the bed. My inner thigh might as well be black and Jane saw the ring of bruising around both my ankles from Beth bounding my ankles together. She stood up from crouching and looked at me in the eyes. Her chocolate brown eyes were filled with fury, confusion and sadness.
She didn't have to say anything and I started bawling.
"We need to talk Maura."
I nodded slowly as she helped me put my sweatpants back on.
When I got them back on, I sat back down on the bed and buried my face in my hands. I felt Jane crouch in front of me. She took my hands of my face and I flinched at her touching me again. I was constantly expecting someone to hit me.
She held my hands just enough for me to look at her.
"Maura, why didn't you break up with this woman?"
I was silent as tears were streaming down my face.
I shrugged.
"Was it because you were afraid?" Her face was so gentle and her voice was so easy to listen to. I nodded slowly.
"I felt that if I resisted then she would harm Leah or Hannah or Thea." I choked on my words as Jane listened patiently.
"She forced sex on me...." my voice went quiet and my hands were trembling.
"I could see that Maur." Her hand released one of mine and she pushed the hair out of my face which revealed the purple.
"...it was so violent." My voice was shaky and Jane continued to listen.
"Do you want to be in this relationship?" She stroked the top of my hand with her thumb. I shook my head.
"Then do me one favor tonight. You never have to talk to me again if you don't wish to see me, but do me one favor. I want you to end this." Her soft eyes searched mine. I was almost tempted to kiss her.
"She won't listen." I whispered and Jane stood up and wrapped her arms around me. I felt protected for the first time in a long time.
"I'll be down the street. If something happens I'll be right there." She crouched back down.
"Can you do that?"
Her face was gentle but determined.
"I don't know." I looked at the brunette. Her face looked worn.
"I missed you.." I leaned in against her and cried on her shoulder as she rubbed my sore back.
"I missed you too." She whispered.
"We can have our talk when this is over, okay?" She whispered again and I nodded.
"Beth will be home soon." I looked at Jane.
"Call me on your cell phone and hide the phone before she comes in. I'll be down the street, okay?" She almost leaned in to kiss me and stopped herself. I wished she hadn't stopped. Her kisses were always full of love. She started to walk out of the room when I looked up and called her name.
She stopped and looked at me.
"Thank you for coming Jane." I choked on my words again as I spoke.
She smiled gently and nodded slightly as she left. I heard the front door close and it was only a few minutes before I heard it open and shut again as I heard stomping around the house.
"Maura!"
It was Beth.