Chapter 17

Jane Pov
I held Maura in my arms. I was supposed to be going back to D.C tomorrow. Today I was planning to visit everyone and spend the day wandering. I looked down at Maura who was now peacefully sleeping in my arms again. I shifted as I had to get up to take a shower. Maura whinpered.
"Jane.."
"I'm just going to go shower, I'll be right back." I went to the bathroom and turned the hot water on. As I got in the shower I heard my phone ring. I stopped the water and wrapped a towel around my body before answering.
"Rizzoli."
"Jane it's Tony." I heard his voice.
"What's up?"
"Jane. Its Hoyt."
I froze. I killed him.
"It can't be. I killed that son of a bitch a long time ago."
"I know Jane. We think he had a kid somewhere along the line. We got a picture of you this morning. You were with Ellen and..." he trailed off.
"What Tony!? Tell me!!" I was already shaking.
"You have red pen all over your hands and Ellen has the same. You both have crosses over your eyes.And there is a note on it that says: you thought I was gone, didn't you."
I sat down on the cold floor and put Maura's robe on. I didn't want to shower anymore. He was after not only me but my daughter.
"Jane.. are you okay?" Tony's voice softened. I started to choke up.
"Tony-I will be back down in D.C by the end of the day. Ellen will stay here. If he plans on going after my daughter then he will have no problem going after any of you. It's best if I come down." My words stabbed me as I hung up with Tony and sat on the floor crying. I heard shuffling. The bathroom door opened and Maura came in.
"Jane, are you okay?" She sat next to me as I felt a few gentle tears escape out of my face.
"You need to keep Ellen here. I don't know for how long but she still has another week of spring break so she's okay." I took a deep breath.
"Hoyt has another apprentice. Presumably his kid because there was a note on the picture of me. Ellen is in danger and so is my team. I have to go back. Just take care of Ellen until she can come home." I looked into her hazel eyes. I wonder if we could consider getting our marriage licence again eventually.
Her face fell.
"Jane.."
"Maura. I have to go. If I put my team and you and our children in any more danger, I could never forgive myself." I stood up and she stood up next to me. We were facing each other as my heart tore and I fell into her arms and she took me in a hug as I felt tears slowly fall.
We seperated and her lips soon reached mine. It was a gentle kiss. The kind that we would have when we were married. I smiled weakly as I went to get dressed and pack my stuff again. I threw on my slacks and a blue shirt with my jacket.
By this time, Leah and Ellen had woken up. I didn't tell them why I was leaving, just that my work called and I needed to go back.
"Mama, you're gonna come back, right?" Leah looked at me with sad eyes.
"I hope so sweetie. I promise that I'll try my best." I crouched down by her and took her into a hug.
"Pinky swear?" She put out her pinky and I took it in mine and smiled.
"Pinky swear." I kissed her gently as her arms tangled in my dark curls.
I stood up and said goodbye to Ellen who obviously was worried, hugged me goodbye.
"Ellen, just stay here, okay? I love you." I looked at her in the eyes trying to get the message that this was serious. She nodded and hugged me again and I kissed her gently.
I stood up and wasn't really sure how to say goodbye to Maura. We were just awkwardly standing there for a moment before I sighed.
"Well, better go catch a flight." I looked at Maura.
She nodded.
"Yeah I guess so." She came over and wrappedher arms around me. I returned the hug and she looked at me.
"Thank you again, for coming." Her eyes looked sad that I was leaving and I stroked her bruised face with my finger.
"Just stay safe, okay?" Without thinking, I leaned in and kissed her before i left to go to the airport to head off to D.C again.