Chapter 31

Jane Pov
Maura and I woke up to the alarm I had set in my phone. She groaned and rolled off of me before sitting up and stretching.
"Good Morning.." she quietly said before yawning and stood up to gather clothes for a shower because she could finally take one. I grabbed a sweatshirt that was on the floor and put it on so that I was wearing a shirt.
"Jane, I don't know if I'm ready to look at my body for such a long time..." Maura looked at me nervously before taking off her clothes in front of me.
"Jane can you be honest?"
She was standing completely naked and shifted uncomfortably.
I nodded, "Of course I'd be honest with you. Why?" I looked up and down her damaged skin.
"How bad do I look?" She looked like she was about to cry as she stood there waiting for an answer.
I was silent for a moment trying to think of what to say. I thought she was beautiful no matter what but she might think I was lying.
"Jane..? Are you going to say something?" Her voice was shakey and I felt bad for staying silent.
I stood up and gently placed my hands on her hips. She flinched at my touch but looked at me with almost demanding eyes.
I finally told her what I thought.
"Maura, I think you are beautiful." My eyes were directly looking at hers so she knew that I was being honest with her like she asked. Her lip quivered lightly as if she was about to have a meltdown.
She whispered, "Okay...thanks Jane."
She was looking down at our feet when I saw her body tremble a little bit. She was crying.
"Awe baby..." I picked up a robe that was laying around and put it on her before I held her in my arms. After a few moments, I had her sit on the bed and I untied the robe. Her body still tensed at my touch but I ran my fingers along her scars and the spots that will turn into scars.
"You don't let these define you. Okay?" I was on the floor looking up at her and she nodded.
"You are an amazing human being. You're smart, kind, caring, a great mom. These marks thst are on you are just extra pieces to how you look. It's not who you are." I cupped my hand around her face and she looked at me with her brow lightly scrunched. I stood up and kissed her forehead and helped her up so she could get into the shower.
...
Maura Pov
I finished my shower and felt much better after I was clean. Jane held hands with me as we got to the new doctor I would be seeing. I really didn't want to leave my old one because I trusted her and she was very compassionate. I sat down on the examination table and waited for the doctor to come in. After a few minutes, a male walks in and greets me with a smile.
"Hello Maura how are you?"
"I'm okay. Thanks." I responded nervously.
"Today's visit is just an ordinary day, so don't worry about a PAP smear or anything unusual today. Here's a gown and I'll be back in fifteen minutes." He handed me a paper tie around and left me and Jane alone.
"Maura..?" She knew that I wanted a female but obviously couldn't. At least today I couldn't.
I wanted to cry and was on the brink of tears before tearing my clothes off and throwing them to the ground.
"Maura, come here." Jane gestured me to go to her so she could help me with the gown.
I kept my bra on since I didn't need a breast exam and I slid on the gown before taking off my panties. I wanted to scream. I wanted to be angry at someone and yell at them. Jane picked my clothes off of the ground and folded them for me. I was trembling out of fear and Jane stood up and embraced me. I didn't want to cry. I cry to much already.
"It's alright baby doll..just get through this and we can get ready to go out with the women from work." She took a tissue out of my purse and wiped the tears off my face. She pulled the roly chair closer to me and sat on it as I layed down and put my feet out. The doctor came back in and pulled up his chair and gently spoke to me during the examination. Jane held my hand the whole time and helped me stay calm.
"Alright Maura. Everything looks good. Continue to take it easy and if you choose to have intercourse, it may hurt so just be careful." He said goodbye and Jane and I were left in the room so I could change my clothes again.