Chapter 2

Maura Pov
I was working on getting over the fact that I had basically broken up my family still. It had been about two years since Jane left. I was raising six year old Leah by myself. Hannah and Thea would come over still. Thea was still very upset that Ellen was gone though. They had become very close when they were young. They talked still though. I am still partially angry at Jane and I don't know why. I wasn't working in anything and it was almost time for Leah to get out of school. The kindergartner loved school like Ellen did when Ellen first started school. Usually Leah had a babysitter that picked Leah up and watched her until I got home. I decided to surprise her though and go to get her. I called her babysitter to tell her what I was doing.
I packed up my stuff and left to go to the library before i went to the school because I still had an hour. I walked in and went for my usual science books about a disease that was in a case that I didn't know as much about. I was walking through the isle when I bumped into someone.
"Oops I'm sorry." The woman immediately apologized and I looked up to see a beautiful brunette.
"Oh don't worry about it, it was my fault. Not yours." I smiled back and saw that her nametag said 'Nurse Elizabeth Reese'.
"Are you a nurse?" I gestured toward her name.
"Actually yes I am, I work at the hospital in town and finally got a break to go to the library." She sighed in exhaustion.
"I'm Doctor Maura Isles Cheif Medical Examiner of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts." I smiled at the proclamation of my name. Her eyes went wide.
"Thats amazing! We should hang out some more!" She winked at me and gestured toward my gay pride pin that was on my keys.
She was obviously a lesbian as well.
"Shall we call it a date?" She laughed and I nodded.
"Sure why not!" I chuckled as I gave her my number and told her to call me. It would be my first time really going out with anyone since Jane. If I did get into a relationship, it would have to be approved by Leah. She was the most important thing to me. I left the library with a little bit of hope on my mind as I went to pick up my daughter.
I got to the school and went toward the crowd of parents.
"Mommy!" I turned to see Leah scrambling outside toward me. I laughed and took her hand.
"Hi sweet pea how was your day?!" I asked the six year old.
"It was great! We had one of those talking people come in. You know like when we all have to go to the stage room?" Leah excitedly was talking.
She was talking about an assembly.
"What did they talk about?" I smiled.
"Well it was a police officer and they do what Mama does!" She was very enthusiastic.
"Can I call Mama later to tell her about it?!" Leah looked into my eyes with a grin across her face. She looked a lot like Jane. Her eyes were like mine.
"Yes you can call Mama when we get home." I wasn't going to keep our daughter from Jane. Especially since Ellen called me alot.
We got home and Leah excitedly jumped out of the car and into the house.
She went to find the phone and dialed her work number.
I could hear Jane faintly from the other end of the phone.
"Special Agent Jane Rizzoli, Ncis." Leah giggled.
"Hi Mama!" She blurted out.
I left them alone to talk while I started dinner for Leah and I. I was wondering when Elizabeth would call. She seemed like a decent person. I cooked some macaroni and cheese for Leah and I ate a salad. Wasnt very formal but I was exhausted and it was Leah's favorite so I didn't mind making it.
"Mama said that she was at work and that Ellen was with her. I got to talk to Ellen." Leah munched on her food.
"When are they coming home?" Leah looked at me with her hazel eyes meeting mine.
I couldn't lie to her. It was impossible for me to lie and everyone knew that. I sighed.
"I don't think they are coming back anytime soon sweetie." I cringed.
Leah sighed.
"Oh."
She stopped eating her dinner and decided that she was tired and wanted to sleep.
"Mommy can I take a nap in your room?" She glanced at me and I nodded.
"Yes of course you can. I'll come join you a little while. We can't sleep for to long to because we want to be able to sleep tonight."
I smiled at Leah and she nodded and wandered into my room to wait for me.