Chapter 17: I'll Help You.

Next morning

As the girls and I walked to the Great Hall, some clapped for us. It was weird, honestly, a sensation I haven't experienced before. I saw Potter and Lupin signaling Lily and Opal to come sit with them. They looked at me and I made a gesture with my hand for them to go. They thanked me and left. I sighed, sitting down at the table. I grabbed some breakfast and began eating. Sirius sat next to me. Ah, first name basis with my...acquaintance...yeah...that's the word.

"So, are you going to sing at the party tonight, Sapphire?" he asked, getting juice for himself.

"Obviously. If I sing at the dance, I will definitely sing at a singing night." I said, in a 'duh' tone. "What about you?"

"Possibly. I don't write songs...or sing." he said. I nodded, still feeling a bit awkward around him being nice.

"Gotcha." I said. He tried to get some of my bacon and I slapped his hand away.

"This is my bacon. Apologizing doesn't mean you can take my bacon." I said and he chuckled.

"I understand." he said, with a sad pouty face. As I was saying that it wouldn't work, he grabbed some of my bacon, ate it, and stuck his tongue out at me. My mouth opened in surprise and I punched him in the arm before burying my fave in my hands with a look of sadness.

"No, I was just joking, I'm sorry." he said, putting more bacon on his plate. I looked up, grabbed some of the bacon on his plate, and put it on mine.

"Now, don't touch it." I said, with a glare. He backed away and we sat eating, talking about classes. I saw a glimpse of Lily, Potter, Opal, and Lupin. I sighed. Sirius did apologize to me, but just because they aren't bothering me, it doesn't make anything better for Potter and Lupin. It seems that they think it IS all better given the circumstances.

"So, if I do sing, what should I sing?...Sapphire? Hello???" I was snapped back to reality by Sirius.

"Sorry, and I don't know. That's for you to decide." I said with a slight laugh. "Let's go to class?"

"Sure. Let's go. McGonagall will go mad if we're late." he said. It's true. As Sirius and I walked out, I caught Lily and Opal arguing with Potter and Lupin. And where has Pettigrew been since the dance? He disappears a lot.

Dinner

Lily, Opal and I walked to the Great Hall and they shot the Marauders a look. I looked at the girls in confusion. Shaking it off, I sat with Sirius and we ate until I felt a pull on my wrist. I turned around and saw Potter, Lupin, and Pettigrew. "May I help you?" I asked, annoyed.

"Can you please come with us for just a minute?" Potter sneered. I looked at Sirius and he shrugged. I walked out of the Great Hall with them.

"So, why'd you drag me out of the Great Hall?" I asked.

"We want to apologize." Lupin said. The others nodded.

"What do you mean?" I asked innocently, knowing exactly what they were apologizing for.

"We want to apologize for bullying you all these years." Lupin said.

"We all saw how much it hurt you...and we saw your bruises. We are very truly sorry." Potter said.

"W-w-we are, forgive us?" Pettigrew said, with a stutter.

"Please? We know we can't make it up to you but hope that this is a start." Lupin said, after I hesitated.

"I guess I forgive you, but this doesn't make us friends." I said. "After what you did to me, we won't automatically be friends. No matter who you're dating or what you say." They nodded in understanding.

2 Days before Karaoke/Singing Night

The Marauders have been getting nicer. I think Lily and Opal rubbed off on James and Remus. I try to get used to the first name basis. Peter is naturally not talkative and Sirius and I are becoming more like friends. It's not really so bad, but we will never be more than friends. This won't get any further.

I'm sitting in the Common Room, working on my Transfigurations essay that should be 14 inches. I have about an inch to go before I finish homework for the break. I try doing assignments before they are due so I am free for the time being. As I finish up my essay, James bursts into the room. He starts pacing around the couch. Well, this must be important for James Potter to pace in frustration. I finished my essay and turned to him.

"James, what's wrong?"

"I want to write a song for Lily-flower." he said. "But I'm not good at writing songs. I get too off track. Sapphire, you're great at writing songs. Help me? PLEASEEEE?" He was literally on his knees, begging me to help him.

"Ok, ok. For Lily, not you." I said.

"Can you sing it with me, too?" he asked.

"You're getting way ahead of yourself, Potter. We'll see." I told him.

"Thank you!!!" he hugged me and went to his room to get some parchment. I rolled my eyes. Oh, boy.