Chapter 64: A Beer, A Mark, and A Betrayal.

Christmas Break 
        "We'll see you in a little bit." I told James as Sirius and I walked out of his house towards my old one. James's parents, fortunately, agreed to let us stay indefinitely. It was really nice of them to offer up their large home for us though they had no obligation to. I walked over to the house, a beer in my hand for my dad. This will help me soften him up so that he wouldn't kick me out of the house right away. I shouldn't be feeding his problem, but I have no choice if I want to make conversation with my father.

"I'll go in. Stay here, I'll call you if I need you." I whispered to Sirius and knocked on the door. Silence. I knocked once more, hearing nothing once again. I turned the knob, and it wouldn't budge.
"Alohomora." I muttered, pointing my wand at the door. I smiled as the door easily opened.
"D-dad?" I called out, taking deep breaths. "Dad? Please show yourself." I said louder this time. I heard a noise and there stood a silhouette of my father, right in front of me.
"Hi," I muttered nervously. He had an almost empty beer bottle in his hand.
"What do you want?" He slurred angrily. He had an unshaved beard and grew taller. His eyes drooped down slightly, dark circles under them more visible, and he seemed angry. 
"How have you been?" I questioned, worriedly.
"What's that in your hand?" He took an interest in the drink I was holding and ignored my question. I rolled my eyes.
"Just a beer." I acted as if it were nothing, but he was eyeing it with intrigue. "Can we talk, dad?" I slowly asked.
"I don't think we have anything to speak about, Sapphire." He slurred again.
"I think we do. Here, I brought the beer for you, but I'd like to speak to you." I negotiated. He quickly grabbed the beer out of my hands and sat down at the table. I sat down cautiously as well.
"W-who is the dark wizard you wrote about in the letter?" I began, after an awkward silence.
"They call him Voldemort. He came looking for followers. He calls them the Death Eaters. Your mother didn't accept to this offer and he ended up killing her." He said, his voice breaking only once, but aside from that, he seemed suspiciously casual. 
"How are you still alive? Weren't you home? You seem so normal with this. I don't understand. Didn't you love her?" I asked softly, pondering this. I was walking into dark territory.
"That isn't any of your business." He snapped at me. The room seemed to suffocate me, all of a sudden, the tension growing. 
"You're my father. It is my business." I blurted out. He stood up, the chair sliding back a bit.
"Get out." He pointed a finger on his left hand towards the door. 

The more defensive he got, the more I finally understood. My father became a follower of this dark wizard Voldemort, and he doesn't seem to mind it. The sleeve on his left hand shifted to reveal a snake-like figure, moving slightly like any photo would be. 

"What is that?" I growled. "WHAT'S THAT MARK?!" I bellowed, holding back tears.  
"Get out of my house."
"You're a Death Eater, aren't you?" I confronted my own father.
"LEAVE, NOW!" He screamed.
"You let your own wife die, but cared only to save your own life! You arrogant, conc-" I began to yell, but an excruciating pain stopped me.
"Crucio." I heard my father mutter. I let out a bloodcurdling scream. I hoped Sirius would hear me, because the prickling pain shot me like a thousand needles. I shook on the floor, unable to do any more than that.
"That'll teach you a lesson not to mess with the Dark Lord. Leave and never come back. You aren't my daughter, do I make myself clear?" My 'dad' told me, standing over me, his wand pointed at me.
"I can't believe you would do such a thing. HOW COULD YOU?" I screamed.
"I couldn't get myself killed. This seemed like the much better choice, wouldn't you say?" He hissed.
"How could you let your own wife die? How could you be so selfish?" I asked once again.
"GET OUT!" He threatened, his wand getting closer to my head. Remembering how I felt with the spell he just shot at me, I ran out of the house without another word, grabbing Sirius's wrist.