Chapter 63: Hardship. As If Not Enough Already.

I almost drowned in tears, rereading the letter over and over again. It was from my father. There was no sugar coating it. He was blunt and cut to the chase.

Sapphire,

Your mother is dead. Gone. She's been killed by a dark wizard, who is on the rise and is looking for followers. I'm a wreck ever since she died. I cannot bear to see you and I hope you understand. Don't come home in the future, unless you'd like to bring alcohol, for it's the only thing that numbs the pain. A funeral was already held in her memory. I wish not to see Sirius or you anymore. You remind me much of your mother, and I still cannot place whether this is good or not just yet. Goodbye.

James Evergreen

I couldn't believe that my mother died or that we didn't spend enough time together before it happened. I found it so sudden. One minute, she was there, and the next, I realize I'll never see her again. I once hated the way she screamed, like when she told me to come quicker so we could get to the train to Hogwarts in the first year. Now, my room feels silent- and I wished for her here to comfort me, but she's gone.

What I couldn't believe more is that my own father spoke to me the way he did. Though I am an adult now, he just disposed of me so easily. Sirius and I have nowhere to go in the future. The realization hit me hard, and I could feel how my mind was racing with stress from every direction.

"S-saph?" Lily knocked on the door.

"Leave me alone." I snapped, still in tears. "Sorry, Lils. I just-" I apologized right away, but couldn't finish my sentence, bursting into tears again.

"Saph, what happened?" Sirius said, through the door. I took a deep breath and wiped away my tears, then washed my face in the bathroom. I walked over and opened the door. I saw the concerned looks on my friends' faces.

"Why'd you run out like that?" James asked me. I held up the letter and he took it. I walked back over to my bed and sat, curled up into a ball. Dead. Dead. She's dead.  The words echoed through my mind.

"Oh my gosh, Saph. I'm so sorry." Molly hugged me, followed by Lily, followed by Sirius, then James, then Remus, and then Peter. I forced out a smile.

"Thanks, but it isn't your fault and you don't have to comfort me, really, it's fine." I gulped down the lump in my throat.

"No, it isn't and you know it." Lily knows me so well. I breathed a sigh of relief.

"My dad seems not to care about me at all. He just said 'Don't bother coming home.' He's drinking, too. He's really not coping that well. I don't know what to do."

"Wait, who's this dark wizard on the rise?" Remus asked, clutching the letter.

"I-I don't know. My dad didn't write his name or anything, but it says that he's out looking for followers. Who could it be?" I asked in wonder.