Chapter 44

It's 9 A.M. 

Grace was still lying on the floor holding on to Zac's shirt. Her eyes were sore and red from crying. Throat dry. She didn't want to move. More like she couldn't move because she felt drained and weak. She felt miserable putting him through all the pain but soon she realized she was doing this for his own good.  So, that he'll be happy and would move on and lead a normal life. 

She opened her eyes slowly...her eyes adjusting to the the lighting in the room that was coming from the open windows. The sun light was too bright. As she opened her eyes, she wished what all happened was just a dream. but it was not. Reality hit too hard to Grace and it felt like reality is just too cruel and vile. 

Just then someone knocked on the door. Grace didn't want to answer the door. If it was Meg, she had keys, she can unlock the door and come inside. Then that someone knocked the door again. this time, even harder. Grace got up, her feet shaking a little. She walked towards the main room and towards the door. She peeped through the peep whole and saw that it was Zac. He looked a little drunk. 

"Grace, I know that you're behind this door....I can see your feet from under the door. Just open the door, already" said Zac in his husky voice. He was not looking pleasant. He had red sore eyes, probably because of crying and drinking. There was this grief on his face that Grace didn't want to see. 

"Go away..." said Grace ,her voice was shaking as pain was numbing her throat. 

"Grace, please open the door baby" said zac almost pleading. He got on his knees and leaned against the door. touching the door's surface with his hand because maybe that way she can feel him, at least.

"i can't... if you wanna talk, we have to talk this way" said Grace crushing her feelings inside her. It was hard for Grace to say those harsh words to Zac. She loved him more than anyone has ever loved anyone and now she has to say those words just to keep him alive and safe. 

"What happened to you,Grace? Why are you doing this to me? Punishing me... But that's alright...if it gives you pleasure by breaking my heart like this then just kill me and get over with it..." said Zac in pure absolute pain.

Grace was silently weeping. She too leaned against the door and put her hand on the door's surface to feel his hand on the door. At least that way she can feel him. For one last time... 

She rested her head against the door as tears rolled down her eyes. 

"What did i do that i broke your heart so badly? Just tell me, what did i do? I'll correct myself, so that we can work on things together and... baby please say something." said Zac, his voice shaking. 

Zac with a poor innocent heart was yearning for Grace's love more than anything. It felt like a doom. 

Grace just couldn't handle anymore. She wanted to open the door and hug him and just tell him how much she loved him and didn't ever want to see him cry.  

"Answer me, Baby" said zac sweetly. 

Those words that were coming out of his mouth felt too precious. Grace knew this was the last time she'd ever listen to his voice. She could have just told him the truth. But telling him the truth would make things even complicated. If zac knew what she thought, he'd never let her go. But, if he didn't let her go, one of them will have to suffer. 

So, Grace thought it would be just best to make up lies and hurt him so that he'll hate her. If he'd hate her, she didn't have to worry about hurting him. with her silly poor plan, Grace said "I'm just not interested in you anymore..." said Grace, keeping her voice firm, trying to convince him that this lie was the truth. 

"You have to lie better to convince me" said Zac slightly smirking. 

Why are you so sweet when i have to let go of you? Why are you so humble when i try to hurt you? Why are you a poor-hearted person just like me? Why are you the one who understands me the most? These questions lingered in Grace's head as he said those words. How sweetly, he tried to convince. Her silly plan failed. He was smarter. He was not going to fall for that BS. He knew her too well.

"Why are you building lies between us?  why are you building walls between us?" asked zac, now crying. 

Grace too was crying. Why love is so hard to keep? Why can't it be easy? Why is it always hide and seek? 

"What do i do without to you?"asked zac in his innocent voice. 

"You move on...without me. You live a sane and safe life, happily" said Grace in her husky cvoice as she tried to control the lump inside her throat.

"Happy, you say" said Zac half smirking, half sad. 

"If you respect our love, don't do anything stupidMove on...don't wait for me...just...live happily" said Grace 

""happy", you say?" said zac crying. 

Grace hated herself for hurting him like that.  How can she do this to him? But she had to. There is no other way. 

"Is this it? This is how you planned it?" asked Zac "Loving me...and now acting like you don't care...acting like a total stranger.....You have no heart. I hope you find someone who'll love you as much as i love you" said zac, he felt betrayed. Grace killed his heart with her silence. 

"I came into your life to be with you...you came into my life, for what?  Messing with my emotions? " asked Zac, crying. His throat aching. 

Grace covered her mouth with both of her hands and cried silently so that he won't hear her. 

"I won't disturb you....Ever. Goodbye!" said Zac and got up and stood there for a second or two and walked away. 

Grace touched the door even firmly, asking him to stop without uttering a word out of her mouth. She weeped silently as she saw Zac's shadow moving away from the door. 

She suddenly saw those foot steps coming nearer. For a second, She felt happy. 

" Maybe i am an actor. But you are a better actor in real life, "Grace"" said Zac wiping his own tears and walking away from the door. 

Grace saw his feet going away and she realized that this was the last time she ever heard from him. Listen to his voice. Feel his presence and feel his love. 

Now, even that is gone. 

Now all that is left...is....Pain.