Part 5: Forbidden from Prom

Finally it was the weekend. This week had been so long I couldn't take it anymore. I was laying down in my bed, shielding my eyes with my elbow to block out the sun.

My mom was working all day today so I would have to go prom dress shopping all alone. Even I couldn't drag Xander to come with me.

I rolled out of bed to look in the mirror. My hair went in every direction and my eyes looked more red than gray. I so did not feel like showering. So I didn't.

I threw my hair up in a messy bun and applied just a small amount of makeup which I usually don't wear. I put on an All Time Low concert t-shirt and a pair of jeans. I was ready to go.

I grabbed my cell phone and keys, stopping in the kitchen to make a sandwich for breakfast. I texted my mom about my plans for the day and I was off.

I hated the mall. Too many people. Too many stores. Yet, here I was.

I checked out Macy's for some dresses first. The prices weren't so bad, but nothing really caught my eye. I knew I wouldn't be able to shop at any of the more expensive stores so I had to keep my mind open.

On the far wall, a purple dress with rhinestones beading the midsection caught my attention. I walked over to it, feeling the material in my fingers. This was the dress.

I reached up and flipped the tag over. $175?! Mom would never let me buy something this expensive. I sighed in defeat and turned around. Tracey Evans was standing right behind me. Her long brown hair was curled, loads of makeup covered her face, and her designer clothes all added to her fakeness.

"That dress will look awful on you, if you were thinking about buying it. And anyway, I've already bought it, so you can't. There's no competition between us if we both wore that dress."

Tracey used to be my best friend. I hung out with all of the popular kids, but she had actually felt like my friend. I didn't care for any of the others.

"Ouch, Tracey. I think the purple will clash with your orange skin tone," I pointed at her bag and continued, "I think you better return that. Even the truckload of makeup you wear won't be able to cover the fact that you look like a pumpkin."

Then I puffed out my cheeks and rounded my arms around my stomach, mocking her weight addition.

"I see how you look at Rick during lunch. I bet you're holding out on him to ask you to prom. How pathetic."

Tracey sputtered and her face turned more red than orange. She couldn't get a single word out.

"I would say it was nice seeing you, Tracey, but it really wasn't," I spun around and pulled the purple dress off the rack. I draped it over my arm, heading straight for the cash register.

I paid for the dress, mostly out of spite. I would have to babysit or something to pay off the money.

When I finished paying, I smiled deviously at Tracey and waved. She sent a few obscenities my way. Whatever.

I loaded my car with the dress and drove back home. I texted mom that I had found a dress and I was back home. She hadn't responded to me yet.

I had no idea what to do with myself for the rest of the Saturday. I don't remember how it happened, but Xander had a date with Riley today which meant I would be all alone for the day.

I ended up on YouTube for most of the day, watching stupid videos. I could have been doing my homework, but who was I kidding? I wasn't gonna do it. I was watching the music videos of some of my favorite bands when I stumbled across a band named Two-Strings. I clicked on it because it seemed to have quite a few views.