Part 14: Mother

Ryker pulled his motorcycle up a long and steep driveway. At the top, a decent sized house loomed over us. He cut the engine and hit the kickstand, easily hopping off the bike. I unbuckled the helmet, placing it on the seat he had just been occupying. Then I got off and followed him up the brick walkway.

The house was considerably larger than mine with a three car garage. A chandelier hung in the huge window on the house. Ryker walked into the unlocked front door. I was a few steps behind him from gawking at the house.

He shoved the heavy door open and let it slam behind him. He couldn't even be remotely nice when he was upset. I opened the door, rolling my eyes. Ryker was heading down the hallway ahead of me.

I looked around. Nothing decorated the walls and there were just the bare necessities of furniture. Then a thought came to me. This must be where Ryker lives.

"Are you coming?" He asked, annoyed.

He stood, holding a door open, quirking an eyebrow at me. I stopped looking everywhere and took my time walking over to him. I smirked when he looked even more annoyed.

He pushed me through the open door and I almost stumbled down the stairs. I scrambled to grab the railing and shot him an angry glare over my shoulder. He gave me an impatient wave to keep moving.

I turned back around and walked the rest of the way down the stairs. At the bottom, I went around a small corner and gasped.

A small stage filled the basement floor. A set of drums and a few guitars were positioned on stage with a microphone stand. Ryker walked around me and pulled up a stool to the stage from the small bar off to the side.

He situated the stool in front of the microphone and sat down with a guitar on his lap. He bent his head, twisting the pegs on the neck of the guitar. Running a hand through the hair that had fallen over his face, he looked up at me.

"Sit down," he said sternly.

I blinked.

"You're such an-"

Ryker started singing and I shut up. I stood motionless as he closed his eyes, singing a soft tune so unlike his usual rock styled music.

Mother
Why'd you have to go?
You left us all so soon.
Remember that song I wrote about our family years ago?
Well, we're all waiting for you to come home.
What do I do?
What do I say?
And I'm told to pray.
So I prayed and prayed but the hurt won't go away.
The pain gets worse, it never stops,
And I've asked the Lord for us to swap.
I beg and plead, 'cause you have kids to feed.
Why is it always stormy weather?
And mother,
Tell me if it all gets better.
Why did you leave?
Why did you die?
You finally made your son cry.
I know you're watching over us tonight,
And I hope you're watching over us tonight.

I stood frozen at the bottom of the stairs. A single tear ran down the side of Ryker's face as he sat the guitar on the ground. When he looked up and remembered I was here, he swiped the tear off his face.

I walked up the small stairs to the stage and stood next to him where he was still sitting on the stool. Even sitting down, he was taller than me. I stood their awkwardly and said, "Ryker..."