Part 7: Get Out!

Four days have passed since I had to hold the microphone for Ryker Avery at his concert. I had secretly been hoping that he wasn't actually the lead singer in Two-Strings and that he was only a mechanic at the local car shop, but that was definitely him Monday night.

Today was Friday. Prom was today. I had returned the stupid dress that I had boughten to make Tracey mad. I felt really bad that I had screwed up prom for Finn and that he had to skip out now to come to my house instead. It sounded so lame, even to me.

I applied a bit of mascara to make my gray eyes less dull. Then I put on something I wouldn't usually wear.

I pulled on a pair of skinny jeans with a maroon tank top and a white cardigan. Wearing this, I felt completely out of my element. I even put on a pair of boots instead of my comfortable converse.

I brushed my hair, untangling all the knots and let it hang down my shoulders. I know that mostly every other girl in my school dressed up way more than this, but for me, this was the most I would do.

Finally, I hooked the necklace my dad had given me for my last birthday he was alive for. It had my birthstone on a simple chain. It wasn't anything flashy, but I loved it.

I gently picked up the framed picture of my father and I at the park when I was around six or seven years old. He was standing behind the swing I was riding with a huge smile on his face that matched my own.

I couldn't believe my mom had already moved on from him. I haven't spoken to her since our argument on Monday. She hasn't tried to explain herself either.

It was like I didn't even know her anymore.

I put the photo back on my dresser and plugged headphones in my ears. This time, I made sure not to listen to Two-Strings as I drove to school.

I walked into English class and there was a collective gasp. Everyone who was already there was staring at me as if I had two heads or something.

Then I realized it was because of my clothes. Jeez, I knew how to dress well even if I never wanted to.

I held my head up high and made my way over to my desk. Ryker's eyes narrowed on me as I walked past him. He reached out to grab one of my headphones and I pretended not to let him. He easily slid it out of my ear and into his own.

I turned the volume of the screamo song all the way up. The music blasted out of the earphones for the whole class to hear. I smirked as Ryker scrambled to yank out the headphone.

He growled at me. I kept walking.

I sat next to Xander who was laughing hysterically. I faced him with a triumphant smile.

Finn nudged me on the other side, giving me a thumbs up. Then Mr. Duncan began class.

I couldn't wait to get home. When the final bell rang, dismissing us, I swear I was the first one out. I sped home.

I went in the kitchen to grab a soda when I found the note mom had left taped to the fridge.

"I'm working. Won't be home until early morning.
-xoxo Mom"

I ripped the note off the fridge, sensing bullshit. She was out with that guy again. She wasn't working. I crumpled the note in my fist and tore it to shreds in the garbage can.

I reached up to clasp the necklace in my hand. There wasn't anything to grab. I started panicking when I realized I had lost my necklace. I ran around the house, frantically looking for it. I searched until I was exhausted and couldn't move anymore.