Part 6: Two-Strings

One word. Monday.

I hit the snooze button on my alarm clock at least three times before my mom screamed for me to wake up. She was leaving now and wanted to make sure I got up for school. I yelled back that I was up.

I slid out of bed and grabbed my phone. Yesterday's events replayed through my mind and I was instantly put in a bad mood. Prom was this Friday and I wasn't allowed to go.

I plugged headphones in my ears. Ryker's voice penetrated through the ear phones and I found myself bobbing my head to the beat of the song while I got ready for school.

I had downloaded one of Two-Strings albums after I had first discovered them online. I hated to admit it, but they were really good.

Believe me, I wished Ryker wasn't in the band at all, let alone the lead singer, but I couldn't deny that I actually enjoyed their music.

After throwing on another band shirt and pair of jeans, I headed downstairs to make myself a sandwich for breakfast. It wasn't the best breakfast, but it would do.

I drove to school with headphones still in my ears, blasting Two-Strings. I drummed my fingers against the steering wheel as I waited at a red light.

When I got to school, I was one of the last to enter first period English. I sat down next to Xander in the seats we've been sitting in all year. He looked happy. At least one of us was, I thought.

Xander knew not to talk to me when I had headphones on. It usually meant that I was not in a good mood, so when he pulled one out, I warned, "Xander-"

Instead of warm, brown eyes that I had expected to see, my eyes clashed with a pair of cold, blue ones.

"What are you listening to?" Ryker asked, sliding the headphone in his ear.

I just about died. He pressed his cheek against mine so the headphone would reach him. Then he started humming along to the recording of him singing.

I shoved my hand between our cheeks, grabbed my headphone out of his ear, and shoved him away from me. Ryker collided with Xander's desk and his eyes electrified.

Hannah dashed over and wrapped her arms around his. She gave me a disdainful look, flipping her blond hair over her shoulder and dragged Ryker back over to their desks. He stared at me the whole way back.

Xander nudged me with his foot.

"What was that all about?" He questioned.

My cheeks flamed and I shrugged. He kicked me harder.

"Fine, he's in a band and I was listening to his music. He caught me," I muttered, shielding my face with my hair.

Mr. Duncan walked in the room, cutting our conversation short. A few minutes later, a note landed on my desk. I looked around the room and thought it must have been from Hannah again. Rolling my eyes, I uncrumpled the piece of paper and read it.

Masculine handwriting was scrawled across the note.

"The Hangout -  Two-Strings tonight @ 7. See you there"

Ryker shifted in his seat, twisting his head towards mine. He quirked an eyebrow. I wanted to smack it off his cocky face.

It was like he was mocking me. There was no way I was going to see his band play tonight, no matter how good they were. Ryker didn't have to rub it in my face.