Chapter 3 - Gawk

Beep! Beep! Beep!

Carter rolled over and smacked the button on top of her alarm clock. Sitting up, she stretched her arms and rubbed her eyes. Her first day at NCIS was finally here. She hugged her blankets close to her chest before getting ready for the day.

A half-hour later Carter was headed out the door. She had on dark dress pants, and a green shirt that went perfectly with her camouflage hat. After years of wearing that hat, she wasn't going to stop now. Slicking her hair back into a ponytail, Carter went on her way. Although technically she wasn't supposed to be there until eight, and it was only five minutes away, she left at seven thirty.

Upon arriving at the enormous building, Carter pulled out the little map and instructions the director had sent to her. Walking into the building, Carter began to wonder if she had made the right decision. There were people everywhere. Finding her way through the building would have been nearly impossible without the little map, she was extremely thankful the director had thought of sending it to her. She finally found the elevator. Taking a deep breath, Carter stepped inside and pushed the button. As she went up she held her breath, praying she wouldn't do anything stupid on her first day.

Ding!

The elevator doors slid open, revealing a bright orange room, with a large staircase in one corner. Carter looked down at her instructions to see that they said, Go to the middle of the room. Agent Gibbs will be expecting you. Before walking over, she stopped and took another deep breath. Confidently, she made her way to the center of the room. There were four desks arranged around the small area. Seated at the largest of the desks was an older man with silver hair. He had on glasses and was reading a newspaper. Carter cleared her throat to speak, but caught his attention before she could say anything.

"You must be Carter Peterson." He stood as she nodded, "I'm Agent Gibbs. Nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you as well, Agent Gibbs." Carter said, her voice wavering ever so slightly.

"You're here early. The rest of the team won't be in for about twenty minutes. For now, make yourself comfortable in that chair over there." Gibbs pointed at a rolling chair between the two desks opposite of his. She shook her head and sat in the chair. Trying to hide it, Carter took out her phone.

"Daaaaaammnnn." Carter could hear a whisper from a tall man, with light brown hair approaching the center of the room. He said it with a slight sexual tone, making Carter a little uncomfortable.

"DiNozzo!" Gibbs yelled, smacking him on the back of his head. Carter couldn't help let out a small giggle. "DiNozzo, this is our new member. Carter Peterson. Try not to scare her away with your flirtatious attitude." DiNozzo rolled his eyes, obviously a little annoyed.

"Sorry I'm late, boss, I..." Tim stopped dead in his tracks, "Carter?! You're our new member?"

"You two know each other?" Gibbs asked.

"Yeah... We met yesterday... I moved in to his apartment building..." Carter said slowly.

"Oh, McGoo! Is this the girl you were gawking over yesterday?" DiNozzo laughed.

"Shut up, Tony! I was not gawking, and even if I was, it wouldn't be over her." Tim started to blush.

"Then why would you have called her Carter?" Tony said, making Carter turn a bright shade of red. She quickly put her face in her hands.