Chapter 4 - Eager

A few minutes of awkward silence was broken, when a dark haired woman came strolling into the office. "Hello. You must be our new probie?" The woman laughed as she asked. Carter shrugged, not knowing whether or not to take offense.

"Yes. I'm Carter." She said, awkwardly standing up. The woman came to shake her hand, while smirking at McGee.

"I am Ziva. Would you be the Carter that McGee could not stop talking about yesterday?"

"Oh my god, not this again..." Tim said as he put his hands on top of his head, "It wasn't like that, Carter I swear. I'm sorry."

"You're alright, Tim... Just making my first day a little awkward... That's all." Carter gave out a fake laugh. Tim looked down and sighed.

It was mostly a quiet day from there on out. That is, until it was time for Carter to meet with the director. From the top of the staircase, the director called Carter up to his office. Looking around to see that none of the others took any notice of it, she quickly made her way up. When she arrived, SecNav was waiting for her, seated at the long table. "Staff Sergeant Peterson. Nice to meet you." SecNav stood and saluted her. She responded with a salute.

"Nice to meet you, as well, sir. I wasn't expecting you to be here."

"Well, it's not all the time that we get new agents fresh out of the forces. So I thought I would stop by to meet you. It's an honor to have you on board."

"Thank you, sir." Carter smiled.

"Alright, agent Peterson, that's all we needed. You can go back to the bull pen if you'd like." The director said, standing in the corner of the room.

"The... Bull pen?"

"It's what agent Gibbs likes to call it." He laughed. Carter nodded and made her way back down the stairs. Everyone was still busy doing paperwork.

Just as Carter reached her rolling chair, Gibbs spoke up, "All right... Seems like we have done enough work for the day. We've been working this case for weeks. Go home. Get some rest. I'll see you back here in the morning." With that, he collected his things and headed to the elevator.

"You guys want to go get some pizza? On me!" DiNozzo stood up, grabbing his keys off his desk.

"Hey, free pizza? I'm in!" Tim grinned.

"I as well. Carter? Are you coming?" Ziva asked looking over to her as she sat looking down at her hands.

"I... Uhhh... I don't know. I probably should get home and get some rest for tomorrow." Carter shied away from the subject.

"Come on, Carter. It's only five o'clock. It'll be fun." Tim said, looking down at her.

"Alright... I guess. I can't stay long though." Carter tried to make it seem like she wasn't attempting to get out of it, "But, I'm going to need a ride."

"You can ride with me!" Tim said, almost too eagerly, making DiNozzo and Ziva smirk. Carter slowly shook her head yes.