Chapter 28 - Stick

"Where is she?" Gibbs asked. Tim was still standing in the entrance to the bull pen. He was looking down at the floor trying to cover up his tears.

"She went home." Tim mumbled.

"Is she alright?" Ziva asked. Tim looked at her, eyes glistening with tears.

"I don't know. She didn't say much... All she said was that she didn't feel well and needed to go home."

Tony looked to the ground with guilty expression. The room went quiet as Tim sat at his desk. No one did anything except for stare at the floor. Finally, after an hour of silence Gibbs spoke up, "That is enough for today... Have a good night. I will see you tomorrow morning." With that, everyone got up and left. As Tim reached the parking lot he felt a hand on his shoulder, causing him to jump.

"It's ok, McGee. It's just me." Tony said, softly, "Listen... I'm going to go talk to Carter. I made a mistake and it is hurting my sister and my friend. I'm going to fix this, McGee. I promise." Tony looked straight into Tim's eyes. They once again welled up with tears. He couldn't get a word out, so instead he just mouthed 'thank you'. Tony pulled Tim into a hug.

Driving behind Tim all the way to the apartments, Tony finally pulled into the complex parking lot. After a moment of hesitation he opened the car door. He slowly walked up to Carter's door and knocked. "I don't want to talk right now." Tony heard the muffled voice through the door.

"Carter, it's me. Tony. Will you please let me in?" After a moment of standing there, he heard the faint click of the lock. The door slowly cracked open revealing a tear stained face.

"What do you want?" Carter asked, quietly.

"Can I come in? I need to talk to you... Please."

"Fine. But you can't stay long." Carter opened the door and walked to her bedroom.

"I need to apologize..."

"For what? You were right. We rushed into things. I think you're right, Tony. We should wait a while."

"No, Carter. I was wrong. You two are perfect for each other. I..."

"Tony, I mean it. You were right. We are going to wait and see how we feel in a few months, alright?"

"I was being selfish. This honestly has nothing to do with me hating your relationship, it has everything to do with the fact that I want to be a good big brother and get to know you." Tony huffed, "Carter. I want you and Tim to be together... I've never seen him so happy in my life. Carter, please."

"Tony, no matter what you say, you aren't going to change my mind. I've come to the decision that I am going to wait a few months, maybe date other people, then make up my mind. It was a hard choice, but I am going to stick with it."