Chapter 15 - Her

Ziva and Gibbs had been waiting in MTAC for almost fifteen minutes when Tim finally entered with Ducky, Abby, and Palmer. Tim's forehead had begun to collect tiny drops of sweat. Abby was not acting like her normal bubbly self. "Gibbs..." She said, with a questioning look in her eyes, "What is going on?"

"Carter was shot last night." Gibbs said. Abby's already dulled expression became even more upset.

"Is she alright?! Can I go see her?" She asked frantically.

"Abby, calm down. You can see her later, but right now? We have to find the man who did this to her."

"You know who it was?" Ducky asked in his prominent English accent.

"We have an idea." Gibbs said. He explained to them what happened when Carter was over seas.

*****

"Hey... How is she doing?" Tim asked, entering the hospital room later that day. Tony was half-asleep with his chin resting on his hands, watching over Carter. When he heard  Tim's voice he jumped.

"Hey, Tim... What are you doing here so late?" Tony yawned.

"I just wanted to see how she was doing... You've been here all day. Why don't you go home and get some sleep? I'll stay here with her."

"But, you're working the case. Shouldn't you get some sleep too?"

"I tried... But I can't. I'll be fine."

"Alright, McGee. I will be back in the morning in time for you to get to work." Tony said. He grabbed his backpack and left the room. A minute later he stuck his head through the door, "Are you sure you're going to be alright, McGee? Ever since last night you haven't been acting yourself."

"I'm fine, Tony. Just worried." Tim looked down at his hand.

"About... Her?" Tony asked. Tim lowed his head and slowly nodded. "Don't worry. I am too." He slipped back out of the door and left Tim and Carter alone in the dark room. Tim looked down at Carter, who was peacefully asleep. He didn't know how she could be though, considering all of the machines that were connected to her body.

Quietly Tim walked to the other side of the room and sat in the chair beside Carter's bed. He locked his fingers together and twiddled his thumbs for a few minutes before rising again. Standing over her, Tim grabbed her hand in his and held it. "Goodnight, Carter. Please get better soon." He said. He stood there awkwardly for a moment and then slowly bent down to place his lips on hers. After a minute he stood back up, his face blushed and turned hot. Out of the corner of his eye he saw Carter move her arm. When he looked down at her, he could see the small smile that appeared in the corners of her lips.