Chapter 16 - Before

Bang!

McGee pulled the trigger of his gun and the Iraqi man fell to the ground. It had been two weeks since he shot Carter and sent her to the hospital. Gibbs and Ziva ran up behind Tim, who's face was drenched in sweat and was breathing heavily. "Are you alright, Tim?" Ziva asked.

"Much better now, knowing that he's gone." Tim replied.

"Tim, I want you to be honest with me. Are you and Carter..." Gibbs began, only to be cut off by Tim's voice.

"No!... I mean, yeah, I like her... But no. We aren't a 'thing'." Tim motioned his fingers to make air quotations.

"Good. Because you know my rules... Now let's get Ducky and Palmer down here to take care of this bastard." Gibbs pulled out his old flip phone and called Ducky. Within minutes Ducky and Palmer got the body loaded into the back of the van and we're headed back to headquarters. "Alright. Let's go see how Carter is doing."

The three made their way to the navy blue charger and headed to the hospital. When they arrived Tony and Carter where waiting by the main desk. Carter was in a wheelchair with her bags on the ground beside her.

"Oh! Hey, Tim!... Gibbs! Ziva! What are you guys doing here? I'm... I'm being released. But they said I can't stay on my own." Carter started out excitedly, but quickly dulled to disappointment.

"I'll stay with you!" Tim volunteered almost immediately.

"McGee..." Gibbs started.

"No, Gibbs. It's fine. I'd like that, Tim." Carter smiled up at him. Ziva smirked at Tony.

"Just remember what we talked about, McGee." Gibbs turned around and left the building.

"What... What did you talk about, Tim?"

"I'll tell you on the way home... Tony, do you mind driving us?" Tim asked.

"Here, just take the car. Ziva and I will catch up with Gibbs." Tony gave Tim a smile as if to say go for it, and tossed Tim the keys, "Oh... And if you do anything to my sister, I will do the same to you... Keep that in mind, McRomeo."

"Thanks a lot, Tony." Tim blushed as Carter laughed awkwardly.

"Get better soon, Carter." Ziva smiled. Her and Tony made their way outside. Tim followed, pushing Carter's wheelchair.

"Tim?" Carter asked quietly once they were inside the car, "Is there something that you want to tell me?"

"What?... Uh... No!" Tim became flustered.

"Tim, my first night in the hospital... You kissed me. And it wasn't just a normal kiss... Tim, it felt different. Like nothing I'd ever felt before... This may sound silly, but... Tim, it made me fall in love."

"You were awake?! I thought... I mean... You were..." Tim was cut off when Carter pulled his face to hers and kissed him.