Chapter 19 - Tape

Three months had passed since Carter was shot. The office was quiet in her absence. About a month after Carter went home from the hospital, Tim started going to work again, checking in on her every morning and night. Finally, Carter was strong enough to return to work. Stepping off the elevator, all of the heads in the office turned towards her. A person began clap and soon the rest of the office had joined in.

"Welcome back, Agent Peterson." Director Vance shook her hand when she finally reached the bull pen.

"Thank you, Director. It's good to be back. I was beginning to get tired of being stuck in that little apartment." Carter smirked. She looked over to Tim, who was gazing over at her with a twinkle in his eyes. She laughed.

"Well... I got a call this morning about a case, but I wanted to wait for you to get back before we went down to check it out. Are you ready?" Gibbs held up a badge and a gun.

"Are these... Mine?" Carter grabbed them out of his hands and smiled down at them.

"You earned them."

"How...? I was gone for three of the four months I've worked here."

"You were brave. You showed us that you have what it takes to be an agent. You were shot for heaven's sake! And all you were worried about was getting that terrorist killed." Vance said. Carter let out a small laugh and looked down at the ground.

"Alright. Let's go!" Gibbs said. He grabbed his things and headed to the elevator. The others followed close behind.

Upon arriving to the crime scene, Carter could see a mob of people surrounding the police tape. Gibbs lead Tony, Ziva, Tim, and Carter through the maze of people. There was screaming and shouting all around them. When they reached the police tape, Carter stopped.

"Carter?" Tim asked softly, "Is everything alright?"

Carter was looking at a young woman with dirty blonde hair, who appeared to be about the same age as herself. The woman was standing inside the police tape, covering her mouth with her hands, crying. Slowly, Carter began to walk towards her, crossing under the tape, she spoke quietly, "Scarlet?" The woman turned to Carter and took her hand away from her mouth. Shock spread across her face.

"Carter? Is that you?" Scarlet asked. The two ran and wrapped their arms around each other with tears streaming down their faces. "What are you doing here? I thought you were in the marines?"

"Not anymore. Now I work for NCIS... What are you doing here?"

"Carter, that's my brother." Scarlet said, looking at the dead body nearly thirty feet away.