Chapter 39 - Reverse

The flashing red lights of ambulances came rushing into the driveway. Six paramedics ran through the broken down wall, four of them went directly to Carter, the other two to Tim.

"Hello, my name is, Adalie. I'm going to need you to sit down and we are going to check your vitals." One of the female paramedics said to Tim.

"Is Carter going to be alright?" Tim asked, fighting against sitting down.

"We will do our best, sir. But right now, we need you to sit down." A man said, trying to hold Tim back.

"Get the A.E.D. ready." One of the paramedics helping Carter said.

"Carter!" Tim screamed, panting for breath. The heart rate monitor connected to his finger raced when he heard that. Taking a pair of scissors they cut through Carter's shirt and placed the pads on her bare skin.

'Please do not touch patient... Scanning heart beat... Shock advised...' the small A.E.D. machine spoke to the paramedics. They pressed the button and sent a jolt of electricity into Carter's body.

"Alright. Let's get her on a backboard and stretcher and get her out of here." The paramedic said. The four rushed around, carefully placing Carter onto the backboard. When they got her on the stretcher and began taking her out of the room Tim lost it.

"No! I have to go with her! Please!" Tim cried over and over again.

"McGee. You need to get help for yourself first." Gibbs said, sternly, "Do what the paramedics say. Get in that ambulance and get to the hospital. We will meet you there."

*****

Three hours later and Tim began to blink his eyes open. Aside from Gibbs he was alone in the room. After a minute of staring into the light he looked over to Gibbs. "What did they do to me?" Tim asked groggily.

"You refused to let them remove the shrapnel from your body and give you stitches... So they put you under anesthesia." Gibbs explained.

"Where is Carter?" He asked trying to sit up, but winced in pain before laying back down.

"She is in surgery, McGee."

"What?! Surgery?! Is she going to be alright?"

"McGee, she was right in front of the bomb. She took a big part of the blow... Not only were some of her bones shattered, but some of her skin burnt off... She's getting reconstructive surgery and skin grafts." Gibbs said calmly.

"So she will be alright?"

"It's not that easy... Remember when you told me about the feeling she had lost throughout her body? She got lead poisoning, McGee. It damaged her nervous system. That is something they might not be able to reverse."

"But they have to! They have to." Tim said defeated.