HQ C.27: The Onsen

Summary: 'The steam and laughter rose into the air, slightly obscuring the pitch black night sky that Sam was watching from the balcony in their room.'

Notes: more comments the faster the updates!!

warning: there is a scene that may be triggering for those dealing with anxiety/ or panic attacks, there will be a warning before the scene and another when it is finished. Please read the chapter at your own discretion.

"Well, if you'd woken up the first time I had kicked you, I wouldn't have had to do it three more times."

The second the coach stopped the boys were already squabbling, mainly the quick duo as Kageyama had awakened Hinata by kicking him multiple times.

"Why are you such a dumbass?" As the words left his mouth Hinata's face turned a deep shade of red as he quickly slid away from Kageyama's menacing aura.

Sam who had had originally been leading the group but seeing the fight had hung back so she could more easily lip-read the conversation, turned to Hinata before stage whispering, "Everyone has to excel at something, Shou-chan."

The rest of the team burst into laughter trying to figure out if Sam had whispered like that because she was unsure how loud she was being or if she had done it on purpose.

When they finally arrived at a large house, the boys all gaped at the large exterior of the famous onsen, whilst Sam who was standing at the front of the group again opened the door, "Auntie! We're here."

Daichi walked to the main desk, checking in whilst Angel walked around before someone crept up behind her and wrapped their arms around her, "Auntie!"

The lady then stepped in front of Sam and bowed, greeting the boys, "Hello, I'm Sakurai but you can call me Auntie!" Her long dark hair framed her pale face and emphasising her big brown eyes.

The boys gaped trying to figure out just how much older she was as Sakurai looked to be in her early twenties at least.

They quickly bowed, thanking her for her hospitality and as Daichi picked up the keys to their room, she guided them to the main building, before dropping them off at their rooms so they could store their bags and get into their dressing gowns.

"Sam has reserved specific times for you so you can have the springs to yourselves, and your evening time is in half an hour. I hope you enjoy it!"

The boys all cheered as the filed into their room, "This is such a big room!" Nishinoya cheered. Soon they were placing the bags in the storage spaces and then raced to the springs. They all raced, and fought for the seats to wash.

Soon Daichi was sitting with Asahi, Tanaka, Kageyama and Tsukishima.

Daichi was sitting scrubbing his back and just as he tried to reach the small of his back an extra pair of hands started washing it for him whilst giving him a slight massage, "Since you have to control all of our rowdy lower years, I'm surprised your shoulders aren't very stiff," Suga placed his chin on Daichi's head before tapping his shoulders lightly signalling he was done.

The rest of the team was in similar states with each member helping each other wash, and soon they were all jumping into the pool, instantly their shoulders seemed to drop and just Hinata and Kageyama were left because Kageyama who was washing Hinata's hair had decided to create a pair of foam cat ears. They chatted and for the first time in a while the conversation was them fighting, but talking about the other teams and possible strategies.

Soon, however, Nishinoya and Tanaka had started a swimming race, splashing everyone leaning against the edges and soon Daichi had stood and punched them both on their heads, as the rest of the group laughed at their pained expressions and excess apologising.

The steam and laughter rose into the air, slightly obscuring the pitch black night sky that Sam was watching from the balcony in their room. Coming from a family where her father was English she had never truly enjoyed public baths and so would go quickly wash, soak and calm down and leave. Sam never chatted with old ladies about her life or interacted with fans, she simply kept to herself.

Sam believed that the reason for this was that although she had always felt more exposed on the court, where every minuscule movement was monitored and analysed. Public baths exposed her physically and although she was used to people seemingly read her like an open book, her body just seemed to be another subject entirely.

** triggering scene **

Then all of a sudden, Sam no longer felt at peace. Her heart began hammering in her chest and her arms lunged forward grabbing onto the balcony to support herself, as her head fell onto them. She could feel her entire body tremble as her mouth went dry.

"One day, let's go to the onsen together!"

She could almost see them, two girls sitting on a bench together, hands intertwined as they discussed their future plans.

It was the smell of vanilla that always seemed to linger in her hair, her blue eyes that seemed more exciting than green. Even if she was younger, Sam seemed to realise she was the one constantly shrouded in jealousy, but for small stupid things.

Maybe it was the knowledge of what was to come, or just realising that eye colour was not their only difference.

A feeling of constant guilt that hung over her like a grey cloud that only seemed to increase with every spiteful comment from her brother, "She would have done it differently."

Again her body seemed to tense up and then suddenly she relaxed, some things can't be changed and living in the past was not how Sam wanted to live. Especially if she was living not just for herself.

*end of scene*

As Sam regained her breath and started setting up the futons, a pair or arms wrapped around her torso.

Slowly she turned to see who it was and found Saukrai, who was quite smaller than her 5 foot 11 inches.

'Everyone's downstairs eating. You've been up here for almost an hour since the boys got out of the baths. Are you alright?' She signed, her hands moving quickly.

"Im okay. Just lost track of time looking at the scenery." She replied with an easy smile, hiding what had just happened.

Saukrai forced a smile and walked hand in hand with Sam to the dining room.

***

The vibe there was very different, everyone cheering sitting around a kotatsu, wearing robes.

They all made a loud cheer upon seeing the blonde accompanied by the owner, slowly she took a seat in between Suga and Hinata, who in turn both checked if she was okay and got a replica response of a smile and nod.

Hinata went back to stealing Kageyama's meat from the hotspot and fetching himself glares very now and then. But Suga simply could not take yes for an answer and placed a hand on Angel's lower arm, which had been in the middle of a rock-paper-scissors war with Nishinoya for the last piece of cooked meat.

"Sam, don't pretend. All it does is not just hurt me but you as well because it makes me upset that you can't trust me."

The blonde's eyes widened before she slowly let a small smile played on her lips, these boys truly were something else.

17/03/16

Vote/Comment/Share/Follow/Fan

Up next: A few more members are added to the hotpot-like onsen, and I bet you can't guess which ones...