HQ C.45: Short Straws

Summary: Sometimes you will find yourself grasping at straws to stay afloat.

Notes: i swear these chapters go from funny to deep too fast

(More Notes At The End Of The Chapter)

Sam enjoyed being in the spotlight. She had this intense sense of presence, maybe due to her constant chit chat or the feeling in the air when there was silence.

But walking around tables, wearing a short maids dress and serving parents and students was not the kind of attention she liked to attract.

Sam had pulled the short straw - literally. During the draw to pick who was serving out of their class, Sam who had grinned boasting her good luck had drawn the shortest straw of all.

The boys were still teasing her about it, reenacting the scene or the first few seconds before exploding into laughter. But the joking quickly dulled when they saw her in the dress. Their faces turned a bright red as the nudged each other in hopes that one of them would come up with some sort of witty line.

"Well boys, I would offer a photo as they last longer but we charge for those." Sam walked away and over to Haru who was helping with the finishing touches in the cafeteria, where the cafe was.

"Haru-chan, can't we swap? My family is coming and it's going to be so embarrassing," Sam tugged on the short skirt as if to emphasise her point but the brunette laughed in response as she shook her head.

"If I remember correctly, Angel-sama, you literally pulled the short straw." Haru chuckles slightly after the comment before placing a few extra roses in one of the vases placed on a table.

Sam groaned and ran her hands through her hair, in hopes of thinking of an escape plan. So far nothing. When she finished tugging and ruffling her unruly locks out of place, before shooting a glare at Haru and walking off and straight into someone's chest, too busy in her own thoughts to notice the volleyball player in front of her.

"Sam-chan, you'd think that since you're missing one sense you would utilise the other one," Sam looked at Oikawa with furrowed eyebrows and his heart dropped, maybe it was too soon to be joking about her disability but Sam burst into laughter seeing his freak out and glaring Oikawa slapped her shoulder lightly, "you're meaner than Iwa-chan."

Sam grinned, poking one cheek and making a peace sign with the other hand, as if to poke fun at Oikawa's signature move, instantly he was messing her hair up even more. Before he suddenly stopped, causing Sam to look up in confusion as he leaned in, his eyes on her lips and Sam's heart stopped before he dipped his nose and smelt her hair.

Sam instantly swatted his away, feeling her face heat up, "The hell do you think you're doing? Do you have a hair fetish I need to know about?"

"Yeah whatever helps you sleep at night Sam, anyway I have a serious question," Sam gulped and looked at him suddenly very worried, "Why does your hair smell like bubblegum?"

Haru burst into laughter sitting atop a table, as Sam looked at Oikawa in shock as Kuroo and Bokuto walked in having heard about Sam wearing a maid outfit. But instead they got to watch her face turn red as she stuttered for an answer, "I-I there was no other shampoo in the shops."

This just caused more laughter to ensue as they all laughed, but Sam trailed off as she watched three familiar figures exit a black SUV in the parking lot, and begin to walk towards the school. Sam's heart stopped for the second time and she started to wonder about going to see a doctor, but what doctor is going to prescribe her something to magic away her family?

***

A pair of arms wrapped tightly around my waist, another holding my limp hands as my brain desperately tried to compute what was going on. The smell of flowers and new clothes clung to my mother as I raised my hands to return the hug I was currently caught in.

Then her fingers were going to my ears to check for my hearing aids and she smiled when she realised they were in, always enjoying playing the part of living in a perfect family.

Quickly she realised me and turned to everyone else sitting in the cafe as I tackled with my legs insistence to throw myself out of the window in embarrassment, but I led her to a table and took their order as well as the concerned mother regime, "Samantha, darling. Your arms are completely bruised and why are their plasters on your fingers?"

"I play volleyball. I am the captain and I have been teaching recently, of course, I'm going to have a few bumps."

She smiled in response before turning to my brother, her brown hair acting like a curtain to signal I could go.

"It's nice to see one of my children is sporty and not always cooped up learning," I turn to my dad, the twinkle in his emerald eyes warned me that he was teasing with my mother who immediately took the bait.

"Lucas, honestly, Jun has been doing everything to get some approval and you find something to complain about anyway."

I snuck a glance at my brother, his bloodshot eyes and constant fiddling showed him to be uncomfortable, good.

As I walked over to Haru to order and collect the various biscuits and drinks, my hand reaching for the tray, Haru quickly grabbed my hand and squeezed it quickly before coming with me as I took a pot of tea and some pastries to my family.

"Oh is that Haruka?"

Haru smiled, "I haven't seen you in ages, Tenshi-san."

"Oh please call me Kumiko-obasan , you have known me for years Haru. Although I must say I expected you to look after our Angel better, have you seen all of the bruises she has on her arms and knees? However, I forgive you because she's finally wearing a dress no matter how cheap it looks."

Haru bit her lip before smiling, "May I ask how America was?"

The conversation continued and I zoned out, watching their lips move before I quickly said goodbye and carried on serving.

The end of the day took a long time but eventually we were waving goodbye and as I walked my parents back to the car a hand grabbed mine whipping me around and suddenly a pair of lips were against mine and all I could hear was static.

11/09/15

Vote/Comment/Share/Follow

Notes: I was listening to Hakuna Matata for the last paragraph.