HQ C.36: Bruised

Summary: A training injury due to hidden feelings.

Notes: Ugh I've been having some bad days recently, sorry for the slower updates

Please keep up the comments they always give me a little push in the right direction~

Training had started, as usual, I had written down the drills on a whiteboard and was watching the boys for the common mistakes.

But my mind kept on wondering, snatched conversations and sleepless nights catching up with me as I stuffed my feelings behind my smile knowing the second someone came close they would see the ugly emotions threatening to fall.

"Angel-chan, did you see that spike?" Oikawa called having just blasted past Kuroo who was complaining about a late start, but they both silenced and I quickly whipped my head up beaming, I knew I couldn't handle an interrogation right now.

So they smiled between themselves, as I turned down my hearing aid slightly, leaning back on the bench until I was looking at everything upside down, blood rushing to my head. I must have stayed like that for a while because when I reopened my eyes all I could see was a pair of toned thighs, hands began to comb through my hair before I sat up my back to the figure.

"Is it me?" I shook my head,  and as the hands fell to my shoulders I shrugged them off in a similar manner feeling them retreat before I was watching Kuroo jog back to the court to practice receives.

Instantly I was felt with regret and as I crossed my legs and trace patterns on my skin, could I keep this up until the end of the term? An endless facade that was so mentally draining, shaking my head to clear it of the thoughts I looked up to see Hinata jogging past Bokuto who was running for a spike, much too near each other,

"Hinata, watch out!"

The elbow landed on his cheek and was knocked to the floor, the team was rushing to his side, quickly I pulled out the first aid kit and placed an ice pack on the already purple bruise forming on his cheek.

Once he was patched up, Bokuto grabbed the decoy and ruffled his hair, "look what I did to your cute face, I'm so sorry."

Hinata just laughed along as Kuroo commented on just how much it would have hurt due to Bokuto's muscular arms but I was all too aware it was my fault, "Shou-kun, I'm sorry. I wasn't paying attention."

Hinata's face instantly morphed into surprise, before he stuttered a reply, "N-N-No I was spacing out. That's not your fault!"

But I was still aware I should have noticed what was going to happen, "Let's take a quick break before we meet at the outside pool to paint it for the new season!"

As I walked away, my head deep in thought I felt a warm hand catch mine, "What's wrong?"

Kuroo's eyes seemed to pick up the slightest movement so I shook my head and placed my free hand to over my eyes as I was sure they would betray my feelings.

"Are you crying?"

"I'm not crying."

"Why are you lying?"

Uncovering my eyes and turning to glare at him, "I'm not. Now let go."

"You really don't take me seriously." Then he let go and was sauntering towards the swimming pool, leaving me thoroughly bewildered. 

***

The sun was shining as the team painted, turquoise staining hands as well as the walls. Splatters landing on faces and then wiped on a t-shirt. The boys were excited, Hinata's section patchy on the top where he was struggling to reach without having to jump. So Sam was standing next to him painting high as he painted lower.

Then just as the last section was covered a burst of cold water hit the back of Oikawa's white gym shirt causing him to release a slight scream before turning to glare at Kuroo who was ruffling Hinata's hair like a proud parent.

Then the pool erupted into laughter as everyone desperately tried to avoid the hose before the resorted to climbing out and simply filling the pool up, watching their hard work disappear under the chlorine filled surface. 

Soon it was finished and after a quick stretch all the boys were splashing around leaving Sam sitting on the side, legs dipped in researching a new type of volleyball.

But the serenity didn't last long as the boys were soon pulling out water guns from the storage shed and completing a fully fledged attack on each other and it was all fun and games until they were locking up and couldn't find the keys.

"Go to dinner, I'm sure it's under a loose tile or in my pocket," Sam reassured as she continued her search before seeing a glint under the surface of the water on the deep end.

A pair of keys, sitting proudly at the bottom most likely left befoe it was filled up or even kicked in as they had launched their attack, so Sam pulled off her shirt and holding her nose jumped in.

As she sunk to the bottom, recounting the fact she wasn't a confident swimmer the blonde began to stumble on the pool bottom before a tug on her leg caused her to release most of her air. 

Sam lifted her leg up hopping after realizing she had forgotten to stretch, not thinking she was going to stretch and therefore had gotten cramp. Cramp so bad she was unsure how she was meant to kick off the bottom to get back to the top to refill her aching lungs. Eyes crunched shut, her hands padling slightly trying to get to the surface with a leg that felt like dead weight.

Before an arm was wrapping around her waist and two heads had resurfaced, gasping for air before leaning over the shoulder and coughing up water, Sam felt a familiar hand land on her back before intertwining with her hair slowly soothing her.

Slowy an emerald eye cracked open and the coughing began again as she realised she was being carried by Kuroo, the skin on skin contact was not helping her racing heartbeat, "WHAT WERE YOU DOING DOWN THERE?"

Eyes widened and mouth slightly fell open at the violent response.

"You've been funny with me all day and then I find you at the bottom of  pool, what the hell is going on, you idiot!" Kuroo was panting before he watched Sam point down and then placing her on the side of the pool where Oikawa placed a towel over he shoulders as Kuroo dove down, picked up the keys and placed them at her feet.

"Thanks."

"You know that's not what an apology sounds like to me."

"Bite me."

03/05/16

  Vote/Comment/Share/Follow/Fan