HQ C.35: Height

Summary: But you need both sun and water to grow.

Notes: all I want is hot chocolate and a big bowl of haikyuu ships

My hand rested on the door to the gym I was about to enter when I felt a massive thump and instantly I swung it open revealing Hinata with his legs wrapped around Kageyama's waist, reaching for the volleyball that was being held just out of his reach, both so focused on glaring at each other that they barely noticed my presence until I cleared my throat and Hinata leapt off of Kageyama snatching the ball with him and scurrying to hide behind me.

Kageyama's face slowly turned red and I was left thinking of a blushing blueberry as he apologised, bowed and ran out, then I turned to Hinata who was in a similar state, "Care to explain?"

"Well this morning we raced the warm up and then when I couldn't find my perfectly inflated ball he was holding it and one thing led to another." Then his head dipped and although I knew he was still talking I was left to figure out what he had said which was most likely a comment on his height.

Opening my mouth to say something, and then closing it realising that words from someone taller than you are rarely helpful, so I simply reached and ruffled his hair, "you don't always have to be happy my little sunshine. You need rainy days for growth as well,"

He looked up startled as caramel hues shone, he suddenly took a step back, bending to the floor before springing up, "You're right! I always have my jumps!" I smiled knowing that soon enough the rain could come and drown the clueless boy who had yet to try and learn how to swim.

Then Kuroo appeared behind Hinata, wrapping his arms around his waist, "Hello chibi-chan," placing him back down the captain ruffled his hair, "fluffy as ever." Hinata pouted in response and as Kuroo moved toward him again Akaashi intercepted Kuroo, catching his outstretched hand in his and with a slight of his head stopped the attack.

I quickly started the training session and as I sat down I suddenly ached to stretch my wings, fly and just be me again, but the chains holding me back were all too heavy and as a lump formed in my throat a hand landed on my arm, looking up and being swallowed in the melted chocolate colour of Oikawa's eyes the hand I hadn't realised I was scratching with dropped and I swallowed hard before grinning at his uncertain features, "Pesky bugs."

But my arm was stinging and turning an angry red and the look in his eyes told me he had seen the purple finger mark bruises that littered my arms, so I glared at him challenging him to say something and he did, his words soft and gentle acting like a balm over my raw emotions, "Go ahead and hide in the lonely maze of crumbling walls you created. Hide whatever it is that's going on. Shed all your feathers and never fly again but never regret your actions."

Then he shook his head hard and stormed off to the three on three game where they were all hassling him and laughing calling him a flirt and telling him to get his head in the game.

Suddenly I felt a laugh and instead of pushing it down, I tipped my head back and laughed, my own team was giving me advice. So I crossed my legs and pulling my hair up, reaching for my notebook and as pen touched paper the details began to pour out about each player.

Tsukishima worked better if Hinata was beside him, Kuroo's spikes were more powerful with Oikawa setting and Akaashi's sets were always perfect for Tsukishima. Bokuto got more nervous when he was alone or too much pressure was placed on his shoulders and Hinata brought out the best mood in everybody.

A hand landed on my shoulder and a shudder ran down my back as I turned to see who it belonged to, a tall skinny girl with dark hair falling just below her shoulders and glasses covering her large hazel eyes, "um can you hear me?"

"I can understand you yes," i replied with a smile as her hands flew to her mouth in embarrassment and her ears turned red.

"I'm here for training?"

I smiled, training and picking a new captain would all occur around the end of the term, not the beginning but I nodded letting her stay so I could explain something to Hinata.

Soon the girl was standing in front of the boys who were seated ready for my lesson, and I smiled because I remember my old coach hanging out meal plans and measuring our weight and height before he was fired.

"Ok everyone, this new trainee is tall, yes?" They nodded their head unsure where I was going, "some people are naturally gifted with talent, an impressive jump or long limbs. But if you rely on those natural weapons you hit a wall and with the rest of your team at your heels you drown. So you train, you train that weapon and make it lethal until someone else counteracts it and then what?"

"You grow. You learn. You lose. You win. You fly." My words trailed off as I saw the star struck look in their eyes, the same mine had once held and I suddenly felt the determination to take this patchwork team and create a stunning masterpiece incorporating everyone's abilities.

The sun shine through the window and the silence hit me as I watched them chatter but I couldn't hear anything but the cheering at the end of the match and I knew I was going to take these boys to the local tournament, ready or not.

26/04/16

Vote/Comment/Share/Follow