HQ C.29 : Trust

Summary: "even in a place away from home he was somehow still surrounded by family."

Notes: I will start dedicating stories to those readers who have really stood out to me and helped me keep going!

Dedication: @ShiroWhite14 the comments you leave make my day and have kept my hopes high about this story.

The winter air nipped at the boys' exposed features, the team had been walking for what felt like years, and Hinata had started his complaining as usual due to the absence of his scarf. Eventually Sugawara walked over to him, wrapping a pale blue scarf around his neck, "you better be super careful with that, it's my favourite scarf." Hianta nodded excitedly and as he looked back up only his eyes and up were visible due to the scarf being too large for him.

"Wasn't that the scarf I got you for Christmas when we were first years?" Daichi questioned as Suga caught back to the captain who had held back slightly. Suga replied with a quick nod and stared intently at the floor hoping it would swallow him up due to his sheer embarrassment.

"It's cute, calm down." Were the words that just seemed to make everything that bit worse as Suga jogged ahead to start chatting with Sam.

"That's a nice blush you've got going on Kou-chan." Sam laughed as he started walking next to her.

"Give me a break Sam," she grinned in return, "where are we even going?"

Sam tilted her head towards him before tapping her nose and winking, "It's a secret!"

Sugawara sighed and somewhere behind him Tanaka was sighing too. Tanaka was currently ambling behind Nishinoya and Asahi contemplating barging in between them. But their conversation topic was slightly too delicate for him to do so without coming off as insensitive, so he was left walking alone. Another heavy sigh left him catching Daichi's attention who was soon by the second year's side.

"Why the long face, Tanaka?" Tanaka simply turned to the captain looking rather deflated which worried Daichi.

"I'm bored and alone. I want a cute girlfriend Daichi, like that cute girl with the pigtails who confessed during practice to you." Daichi flushed at the statement and then smiled knowingly before slapping Tanaka across the shoulders, just hard enough that he got a flinch.

"Do you not think Sam would be done hooking you up with a volleyball babe from her team?" Tanaka was instantly beaming and bounding over to Sam where he explained the situation.

As the blonde began creating a plan, Sugawara walked back to Daichi, who sent him a grin, "Are you done sulking? You're more of a diva than Oikawa sometimes."

Sugawara beamed at him before glancing at the rest of the team to make sure everyone else was okay, and the nonstop talking and squabbling lulled him into a sense of security because even in a place away from home he was somehow still surrounded by family.

***

The studio was toasty, a huge contrast to the frosty outside and the boys were mostly laying in either the heated floor or the radiators but the various equipment around the room had them slightly on edge.

Sam stood at the front, hands on hips grinning widely, "Team building begins now. The three teams have already been decided, you will be working within your years."

There was a large groan from Kageyama and Hinata who just by looking at Tsukishima's smirk and Yamaguchi's uncertainty that they had lost.

The exercises were simple, things like guiding someone blindfolded around an obstacle course. In which Hinata was chosen, due to his poor listening skills and bad directions from the others, most of the time he was going in the wrong direction, or simply off course.

Next was making and eating sushi without the use of your hands, meaning Yamaguchi sat down arms tied behind his back with Hinata being his arms, this was more interesting as Yamaguchi was constantly screaming at him to stop adding wasabi which apparently felt like rice. Tsukishima and Kageyama barely got to the sitting phase as they were constantly throwing insults at each other.

Sam's favourite was feeding each other. "Come on, say aah Kageyama." Kageyama simply glare at Hinata who was enjoying himself way too much.

"If you don't hurry up the noodles will drip all over me," Sugawara complained as Daichi took his time enjoying each mouthful he was fed. The setter simply glared at him until he swallowed hard and realised he had no more room for screwing around with the death glare he was receiving.

These interactions continued until the end, where the third years won by a landslide, then the second years and third years last.

Afterwards, Sam called the first years together and made them sit in a circle with her as the other boys went out to search for a restaurant to eat dinner in having scoffed the picnic in record time.

"Why do you think you lost?"

"Because the King does not work with commoners?" Kageyama almost snarled at Tsukishima who was smirking.

"Wrong, but nice guess. You boys have no chemistry or trust between each other. Those two things are, in my opinion, some of the main pillars of volleyball."

As the boys listened to an unexpected lecture, some things became more obvious about what they needed to do to beat teams like Nekoma, without the help of a pro like Sam playing with them.

Although the first  years shared many differences they all heard the same tone in Sam's voiced and interpreted it the same way. Sam trusted to easily.

23/03/16

Vote/Comment/Share/Follow/Fan