°Highschool AU°

((hs aus are my absolute favorite thing tbh))

"Y/N!" Your friend Sean yelled after you in the halls after first period.

"Hey Sean." You smiled at him. He had moved here from Ireland when you guys were in middle school, and you'd been friends ever since. You had even dyed your hair together in 9th grade, his green and yours purple. He kept the green, but you let the purple fade to lilac.

"We got a new kid in my English."

"Really? Where'd they come from?"

"Ohio or something." He shrugged. "His name is Mark. And he's got dyed hair just like me! Well, it's red, but that's not the point."

You laughed, twisting the lock on your locker. "Well I gotta run, maths is so far away!" Sean began jogging down the halls.

"We just call it math here!" You yelled after him.

He flipped you off over his shoulder as he kept running. Shaking your head, you switched your own English binder out for your Chemistry binder. When you turned around, you could see a boy waiting patiently. "Oh sorry, am I in front of your locker?"

"You're fine, I don't even know how to open it. Just wanted to put my English binder in." Just came from English. Red hair. It suddenly clicked in your mind.

"Hey, are you Mark?" You stepped away from the lockers so he could try to fiddle with it.

"Yeah, how'd you know?"

"My friend Sean is in your first period, he said we got a new kid." When Mark looked up at you in confusion, you described your friend. "Extremely loud, green hair, Irish?"

"Oh yeah, he seemed... nice."

"So what class do you have next?"

"AP Chemistry with Mr. Kamper? Do you know where that is?"

You perked up. "That's my next class, we can walk together. And I have an extra seat at my lab table, if you want to sit there."

"Yes, thank you." He grinned at you.

Once inside the classroom, Mr. Kamper immediately noticed the new student. "Ah, Marinara, you brought me the newbie."

"Yeah, this is Mark. He's from Ohio." You shrugged, the nickname didn't even phase you anymore.

"Hello, sir." Mark quickly stuck out his hand to the teacher, but he just waved it off.

"Sit down, newbie, you've got a lot of stuff to catch up on. Get your notes from Marinara."

"Marinara?" Mark asked you, sitting in the chair beside you.

"He gives everyone nicknames, I turned in a lab report last year in Chem Honors and it had marinara sauce on it. He's called me that ever since." You pulled out your notes from the past week and handed them to him. "I'm sure you'll get a nickname soon, after he's done calling you newbie."

"Can't wait."

You two parted ways after second period, him going to Engineering 1, and you going to Algebra. The next couple periods were relatively quick, and you met up with Sean after fourth so you could walk to lunch. Right outside the cafeteria, you spotted Mark and led Sean over to him with you.

"Hey Mark!" You greeted him. "You remember Sean, right?"

"Of course."

"Hi Mark!" Sean said loudly. "You got a lunch table to sit at?"

"Not really."

"Sit with us! We've got another seat. If you don't mind Bob, Wade, and Molly, of course."

"Bob Muyskens? I think he's in my Engineering class."

"Okay so you basically know everyone, come on!" You grabbed Mark's arm and lead him over to your lunch table.

"Hey Y/N, hey Jack!" The other three greeted you, already sat down.

"Jack?" Mark echoed from beside you.

"We call Sean that sometimes." You giggled at his confused look. "Now come on, sit!"

Everyone had brought their lunch except Sean, as per usual, so he had to go in the mile-long lunch line. Mark turned to you as you took a bite out of your ham and cheese sandwich. "So uh, are you and Sean dating?"

You just about spit out your food, and Bob howled with laughter. "Good god no, he might as well be my annoying little Irish brother!"

"Oh okay." Mark smiled sheepishly, popping a chip into his mouth.

"So what does the rest of your schedule look like?" Wade asked Mark.

"Uh, I have Calc next, then Band, for my fine art credit."

"You'll love the band director, Mr. Emerson is a blast. I'm in band." You informed him as Sean sat back down, chicken sandwich in hand.

"Are you kidding me? Mr. Emerson hates my guts!" Your friend exclaimed.

"Maybe because you nearly smashed a snare drum over his head when you lost a video game." You fired back.

Mark laughed. "Seriously?

"Hey, Geometry Dash rage is an uncontrollable force." Sean defended himself. "He just couldn't handle my loud Irish-ness!"

"Not many people can, Jackaboy." You shook your head. "So what do you play, Mark?"

"Trumpet, ever since middle school."

"Cool, I play (whateverinstrumentyouwannaplayidk)."

Everyone finished up their lunch, then the bell rang. "Alright, I'll see you in Band, Mark!" You said goodbye cheerily, and as did he.

Your sixth period went by quickly, then it was time for band. You quickly settled into your section, joking around with the second chair (you were first chair, obviously). Mark nervously shuffled in, trying to find the band director. "He's the one with his shirt inside out." You said, pointing to your young band director. He had just graduated college a year ago.

"Again?" Mr. Emerson apparently heard you.

"Yes, again." Kasey, a euphonium laughed.

At the end of band class, you were packing up your instrument and attempting to lift it up into your locker. Normally you used a chair, but all of them had already been stacked up. "You need some help, Y/N?" A voice offered from behind you, and you turned to see Mark.

"Please. I don't know why Mr. Emerson gave me a locker on the tope shelf." You handed your case to him, and he slid it in the locker with ease.

"So uhm, I don't really get the Chemistry homework... can I get your number so I can ask you questions later?"

"Was that a cunning way of getting my number?" You smirked, getting a marker out.

"Maybe?"

"Well here." You took his arm in your hand and wrote out the ten digits as neatly as possible.