°Forbidden Pt. 3°

Recommended Song(s) For This Imagine:
Fly Away - 5 Seconds of Summer

The next morning, you woke up anxious and giddy. All day you had to act normal around the Fischbachs. You had to continue being cordial to Mark, interested in Tom, and happy to discuss the thought of marriage with the king and queen.

Dinner was particularly awkward, with the king openly talking about dowry. "Y/N, do you think your father would prefer horses or wine?" He asked you.

You were caught off guard, half-choking on your spoonful of soup. "Father!" Mark cried out indignantly, looking at you a bit worried, and even Tom seemed surprised.

"What?" He laughed, taking a sip of his wine. "I really don't think we should beat around the bush anymore."

"I need some air." You pushed your chair back, throwing your napkin on the table and fleeing the dining room, hand over your mouth.

"What's up with her?"

You hadn't even realized Mark followed you out until you had reached a balcony and stood gripping it tightly. He gently peeled off your white knuckles, tenderly placing a hand on your cheek.

"I don't want to marry him, I don't want to marry him." You repeated over and over, allowing Mark to hold you close to his chest.

"Sh, I know." He patted your back. "I know."

"If it makes any difference," a voice several feet away, belonging to Tom, said. "I don't want you to marry me either, Y/N."

You looked questioningly at the boy, still in Mark's embrace. His brother continued on. "Don't get me wrong, you're a spectacular young lady, but I want to marry someone I love, and who loves me. If my brother is the man you love, and he loves you back, so be it. I can't change that."

"So... you're giving us your blessing?"

"I'll do better than that." He forced a smile. "I'll distract my parents and let you two run away. I'm assuming that's what you were planning on doing, yes?"

You could only nod, and detached yourself from Mark to walk over to his quietly crying brother. "Thank you, Tom, I will always remember your kindness."

He genuinely smiled through the tears up at you. "Go. Be happy and make your own future."

You stepped back, and Mark hugged his brother. They exchanged a few hushed words, then one more hug before Tom left, assumably to distract his parents.

Taking Mark's hand in yours, you ran down the palace steps and out the door, ready to make your future with the man you loved.

It didn't take long to run deep into the woods. Mark seemed to know where he was going, and you weaved through the trees with him. You reached a clearing, and your breath hitched. It was the same magical waterfall he had taken you to many times on horseback rides.

Except now, it seemed to have taken on a different kind of beauty. The pitch black night allowed the luminescent lightning bugs to dance around the crescent moon whose light bounced elegantly off the ripples in the water.

"We can rest here for tonight, but my parents may or may not send guards after us." Mark explained, sitting on the riverbank.

You sat beside him as he pulled something out of his pocket. It was an oddly-shaped stone that brought a smile to your face. "You still have it."

"Why wouldn't I?" He leaned back until his head was on the ground.

You shrugged, laying back to look up at the moon and the stars, snuggling into Mark's side. Eventually, you both fell asleep stargazing.

A cry early in the morning awoke you. Blinking to adjust your eyes, you saw nothing but the ethereal landscape colored over with soft oranges and pinks of the rising dawn. You were about to lay back down next to Mark when the noise came again, and you stood up, straining your ears to hear it.

It sounded almost like... a baby crying.

Following the sound across the freezing river, you saw underbrush trampled, and in a bed of clovers, there was a small form swaddled in blankets.

It was indeed a baby, you realized as you picked it up. The baby had brilliant honey-colored eyes and a fine layer of black hair. "Hey baby." You whispered, cradling the still crying child in your arms. "What are you doing all by yourself?"

She didn't respond, but stopped crying, looking up at you with wonder. You continued speaking. "Did your parents leave you out here? What's your name?"

You knew she couldn't speak, and decided to come up with a name for her. "I think I'll call you Clove."

"Y/N?" Mark's voice reached your ears, and you walked back over to the riverside with the baby girl.

"I'm over here." You called out to him, and he met your eyes with a smile of relief. "I found someone. A little baby girl."

He waded across the river to join you as the girl sucked on your finger. "A baby?"

"Yeah, she was just left in a bush. Poor thing."

"She's adorable." He ran a finger along her small patch of hair. "Does she have some sort of identification on her?"

"No, I've been calling her Clove." You rocked her back and forth. "I think it suits her."

"Y/N, we can't just keep a baby, we're on the run." Mark ran a hand through his own hair, exasperated. "And what if her parents come looking for her?"

"They won't!" You spit, holding Clove closer to you. "They left her here to die! It's not like you just misplace your baby in the middle of the woods!"

"Okay. We'll take her with us." He wrapped his arms around you, the baby safely in between you two. "Welcome to our little family, Clove."

Since you'd found Clove in the woods and had taken her in, you and Mark settled down in a far away town. Well, far away from his family at least, the village was just on the outskirts of your family's kingdom, somewhere they never went.

Raising her wasn't easy, but she had brought you immense joy in the past two years. You'd never told her about her biological parents, because they didn't matter. She was your daughter.

"Mama?" A small voice woke you up in your house.

"Yes Clovey?" You opened your eyes to look at your daughter at your bedside.

"My stomach hurts." She sniffed, and you sat up to pick her up and place her on the bed, facing you.

Concerned, you pressed along her abdomen. "Does that hurt?"

She pointed to her right side. "Only when you press there."

You lifted up her shirt to see huge purple bruising. "Mark," you tapped his arm, frantic. "Mark, wake up!"

"What?" He rolled over, then saw Clove's side. "Oh honey, what happened?"

"I don't know, she woke me up saying her stomach hurt."

"Mama it really hurts." She started sobbing, and you brought her onto your lap, holding her through her tears.

"Y/N, we need to find a doctor." Mark shot out of bed, putting shoes on.

"I know just who to see." You stood up, still holding your child. "Dr. Phillips, my old court physician."

"Love, are you sure?"

"Our daughter's life is more important than the shame I brought to my parents."