°Highschool AU: Teachers Pt. 5°

The rest of your stay in Florida was miserable for you. You stayed holed up in your hotel room as much as possible, because as soon as you left it to go somewhere with the wedding party, you knew you'd have to see Mark. And that wasn't something you wanted to do. On the flight back, you stuffed your earbuds in your ears, turned the volume up all the way and immersed yourself in Hamilton.

Back at the school, you did the same thing, focusing completely on being there for your drama kids. Their final end-all be-all competition was a mere few weeks after break was over, and you wanted them to do their absolute best. You all convened in the gym before first, waiting for the buses to arrive to take you there. Over the speaker, Principal Kjellberg made the morning announcements.

"And good luck to our Drama Club, who's finals are today! They will be preforming at 4:45, if anyone is interested in watching their spectacular performance of Hamilton! Make us proud!"

The entire group of kids cheered at the recognition, and you beamed at their enthusiasm. The yellow school buses pulled up to the curb, and you ushered them all out. On the bus, they a capella-ed their favorite songs from the play, and you laughed along with them.

"What's your name, man?" Alex who had ironically been casted as Aaron Burr, and not Alexander Hamilton, belted out.

"Alexander Hamilton." Keith Cooper sang, a grin on his face. "My name is Alexander Hamilton. And there's a million things I haven't done, but just you wait, just you wait!"

Drama had brought out so much in these kids, you felt like a proud Mama Duck whose little ducklings had learned to fly. At the performance center, you helped guide them to your building where you would then wait for the next four and a half hours before you could go into rehearsal then costume and makeup.

The kids goofed around while you occasionally spoke with the other teachers. One woman you met was from Cloverton. "Oh, I've met your football coach, Sean." You said after she introduced herself.

"Oh, he's an insufferable bastard sometimes." Rowan scoffed. "Pardon my French."

"So is our football coach."

"They just have no respect for the arts!"

"Precisely!" You smiled. "I'm Y/N Y/L/N, by the way."

"Oh, Jack was raving about you after the football game against your school."

"Really?"

Rowan shook her head at your interest. "Don't. I haven't heard a peep about you in months, I'm sure he's found another cutie to be fascinated by."

"Oh. Alright then." You sighed, watching Alex and Keith act out their dual scene. "Probably for the best, I've got other things to worry about."

"Don't we always." Her school was then called to go into the rehearsal room. "Gotta blast! Good luck!"

"You too!" You wandered over to your kids. "Hamilton! If you die like that on stage, I'll kill you!"

Soon enough, time had flown by and your school was called into the rehearsal room. "Alright! From the top! Eliza, you're after Angelica, remember?"

"Yes!" Nancy responded, standing in her place.

You counted them off, snapping your fingers and tapping your foot to the beat. "One, two, three, four!"

After the rehearsal, a volunteer came and brought you all into makeup and costume as the stage was set up for you. Finally it came time for them to go on stage.

"Remember, you all have worked very, very hard on this. I love you all as if you were my own slightly annoying little siblings. I will be proud of you no matter what." You said as they all huddled around you. "Now go have fun, and do your freaking best!"

You then joined the parents down in the audience, sitting front row to encourage the kids as much as possible. Every so often, you'd look back to where the judges sat, anxiously wondering how they were scoring them. One time you looked back there, you could have sworn you saw a familiar floof of bright red hair, but convinced yourself that you were imagining it, or that anyone else could have dyed their hair red.

You happily mouthed the words along with them, and was absolutely the loudest person to clap as they bowed. Immediately after they finished, you rushed backstage to join the celebratory crying and hugging and high fives.

"You guys did spectacular!" You exclaimed, and then Nancy stepped forward, something behind her back.

"We just wanted to give you this, as a thank you for everything you've done for us. Before this, a lot of us didn't really have anything to look forward to every week, or something to be passionate about. And you gave us that. Thank you, Ms. Y/L/N." She held out a card to you, obviously handmade and signed by all the kids.

"Oh come here, you guys." You pulled them all in for a group hug. "Now, let's get all this stuff loaded into the bus so you kids can go home!"

You took your stuff outside to where your bus was waiting, and loaded into your seat at the front. A thin layer of snow was on the bus and across the ground, so you leapt off the steps of the bus to hear it crunch under your feet. Still buzzing with post-performance excitement, you giggled as you looked up, and the happiness stopped halfway in your throat.

Standing in front of you was in fact, the owner of the red floof you had spotted, a small smile at your childish antics on his face. "Congrats, Y/N." Mark said.

"It was all the kids." You crossed your arms, determined not to cry in front of him. "What do you want?"

"To apologize for what I did." He rambled on. "It's not that I only thought of you as a fuck-buddy, I cared for you so much more than that. It scared me. So I ran away. I totally understand if you hate me and spit in my face or something, but I really am sorry for the shitty way I treated you."

You bit your lip in thought as he held something out to you. A bouquet of flowers. "Just like the ones you caught at Marzia's wedding." He explained.

Gently taking them from him, you took a step closer to him. "Thank you."

"Wait, I have something else!" He dug into his pocket before pulling up a slightly crumpled piece of paper. "I'm not a great poet, but I wanted to do as much as I could. So uhm-

Happiness doesn't have
A weight
A face
A price,

Its different for everyone.

But I'm pretty sure that if I was
To be holding my happiness
In my arms,

You'd be telling me to put
You down."

A grin broke out on your features, and he sheepishly smiled as well. "I know, it didn't even rhyme or anything."

"It was free-form. It came from the heart." You stopped his excuses, taking his hand in yours. "It didn't need to rhyme."

"Y/N, can I kiss you?"

"Yes."

He lifted your chin up and tenderly pressed his lips against yours. Both of your lips were cold, but you didn't mind as you wrapped your arms around his neck and his went around your torso. The sweet kiss continued, until you broke apart for air, and rested your foreheads together.

His soft brown eyes looked at you with nothing but love in them, and you gently brushed snow off of his red hair.

"Ms. Y/L/N? Coach Fischbach?" A startled voice interrupted your moment.

Not even letting each other go, you turned your heads to looked at Keith Cooper, gripping a box of costumes.

"Hey Keith." You said as Mark said,

"Good job up there, Cooper."