°What Time Is It? Time Of Our Lives! Pt. 2°

You raised an eyebrow as you walked into the small office. "Wow, that's fancy for student help at summer school."

"They didn't officially give it to me, but I've taken it over since Mr. Howard had to take extended sick leave."

You sat in one of the two chairs in front of the desk, and you were mildly surprised when Mark sat in the one beside you instead of on the other side of the desk. "So how has Jeremy been doing?"

"He's been doing better than how he was doing at the beginning of the summer. It was pretty clear he didn't want to be here, so when I took over I made it a mission of mine to connect with some of these kids who had potential. Your brother was the first one I talked to." Mark explained.

"What'd he say?"

"Once he started taking about his home life he couldn't stop going on and on about you. He really does look up to you, and he hates that he feels like he's letting you down."

You say back against the seat, a sad defeat on your face. "He hasn't let me down. I'm so proud of him."

Mark was quiet for a moment, then spoke softly. "Jeremy mentioned your parents weren't home often, what's that like?"

"Yeah, they're really interested in their work. I've raised Jeremy pretty much since he started walking. Done the best I can for him. That's why I'm going to the community college in the first place, to stay by Jeremy until he graduates." You found yourself crying. In front of a guy you had just met. "And ever since he's started doing worse in school, I've asked myself if it's my fault, if I did something wrong. Did I do okay?"

"Y/N, I'm very sure you did the very damn best for Jeremy, and he knows that."

"He does? Has he said something to you?" You looked up at the boy hopefully.

"No, but I like to think I can read people pretty well. Also, I went through the same thing. Almost." Mark admitted, and you were intrigued.

"Really?"

"Yeah, my parents divorced, my older brother and I stayed with my dad, and then later my dad and stepmom. My dad died of cancer, leaving us with our stepmom, who then had to work so much. My brother Tom took the job of raising me and teaching me. Our stepmom moved here for work, so I'm going to the community college since we can't afford a state university right now."

For some reason, you found yourself grinning. Someone who you could relate to, who truly made you feel better about pretty much your entire life in regards to Jeremy. "Thank you, for sharing that with me. And for listening to me."

Mark was crying now too, but also smiling through it. "You're welcome."

"Oh, look at us, two crying messes." You laughed lightly, and Mark grabbed a box of tissues for you both.

"You know, I want actually expecting to connect with someone in a parent-teacher conference like this."

"Well I'm not a parent, and you're not technically a teacher."

"Yeah, but still, I've really enjoyed these past fifteen minutes with you, Y/N."

To your surprise, you had to agree, something about Mark made you feel warm and bubbly inside and your cheeks to donate up whenever he looked up at you above his glasses.

After you had dried your tears and made yourself look presentable, you stood to leave the office with Mark. "Mark, I've been meaning to ask you..." You grabbed his arm before he was able to open the door, and he looked back at you questioningly.

"Ask me what?"

"What were you working on when I first walked into the classroom?"

"Oh, that's all you wanted to ask me?" Mark let out a small laugh that sounded just a bit disappointed to you. "Applications for engineering scholarships to universities. I'm thinking about biomedical engineering."

You had to admit that you were thoroughly impressed, you hadn't thought about declaring your major at all yet. "That's really awesome. And what did you think I was gonna ask you?"

He shrugged, leaning against the door with a newfound smugness. "If I wanted to get lunch with you or something."

You took a step towards him, and he moved further back into the doorframe. "Like a date?"

"Precisely." He tried to keep up his confident aura as you got even closer to his face.

"And if I had asked you? What would you say?"

"No, because I don't date girls whose brothers I'm teaching."

"That sucks, because I know this great sandwich place out on the edge of town, and I was kind of digging the hot nerd thing." You mock-sighed, pushing open the door to walk back into the classroom.

Mark stumbled, as he had still been leaning against the door as you walked away. "Uhm, actually how does 7 sound?" He called after you.

You smirked to yourself and stopped by the door to leave the classroom. "SuperSubz closed at 7."

"5:30?"

"Sure." You turned around to wave goodbye to your dumbfounded brother and shoot a little wink at Mark before leaving the classroom.

Tonight was going to be good.