°My Favorite Phantom Pt. 3°

Recommended Song(s) for This Imagine:
Sweater Weather (cover) - Vitamin String Quartet

The next year was your first Halloween away at college. Not really away, because the big state college was fifteen minutes from your home, so you didn't have to move into the dorms. So on Halloween, you were sitting on your bed doing Calculus homework, when at precisely 6:33 pm, a cool breeze made your hair stand on end. Grinning up at the ghostly figure in front of you, you immediately closed your textbook. "Hey Mark!"

"Hey Y/N!" He hovered by your bed. "How's college going?"

You shrugged. "Good and bad, Calculus and Physics suck but Astronomy and Aerospace Engineering is freaking awesome."

"You're going to be an engineer?"

"Something like that. I 100% want to work at NASA, though."

"I could've been an Engineer." Mark commented. "If I didn't, uhm, you know."

You both were lost in thought for a moment, then you spoke up. "Mark, I've never asked you this, and feel free to not answer if I'm way out of line. But, how did you die?"

He sighed, looking past you out the window, at the house beside yours. "I died saving the girl I loved. She used to live in this house, in this room, not me. I lived next door.

Her little brother's toy had fallen on the train tracks and she was getting it but she had hearing problems and didn't hear the train coming. I pushed her out of the way. She was fine, but I clearly wasn't."

You were silent, and wanted to be able to take Mark's hand in yours, to comfort him. "I'm sure she thought of you as a hero. I know I do."

"Funny thing, I never knew why I became a ghost," Mark didn't even acknowledge your comment. "Until I came back here tonight and saw you sitting on your bed, focused. For a moment I could believe I was back with her again, marvelling at how adorable she looked when her tongue was sticking out of her mouth as she worked.

Now, I know you're not her, but damn, you remind me of her so much, it hurts sometimes."

"What was her name?"

"Y/N."

You weren't sure if ghosts could cry or not, but Mark seemed on the verge of doing so as he looked at you with bittersweet emotions.

"Mark, I don't know what to say." You told him truthfully.

"You don't have to say anything, I just laid a bunch of shit on you and I'm so sorry-"

You cut him off, completely forgetting that you couldn't touch him, and threw your arms around his neck, attempting a loving kiss. To your utter shock, your lips actually connected with his. Sure, they were still cold, but you could feel them against yours. Before you could pull away to tell him you loved him too, he disappeared beneath you, and you fell onto your bed.

Wracked with disappointment and a deep sadness, you curled up. He was gone. He had left you. You scared him off.

The rest of the night you cried until you were out of tears, then some more. The pain was a deep ache that spread through your whole body. You weren't sure when you fell asleep, but sunlight and quiet knocking on your door woke you up.

"Come in." You muttered, checking your reflection to see mascara stains and a rats nest of hair.

Your mom was standing there with a plate of pancakes. "Hey, sweetheart." She smiled, setting the plate down on your nightstand. "You slept through breakfast, so I brought it up for you. Your dad already left for work."