°Markimoo To The Rescue Pt. 1°

((superhero au requested by the lovely furiousbucky))

((also there will be a few avengers/mcu references in here so feel free to ask for clarification if u need it!))

The past two years of your life had been a whirlwind of aliens, superheros, and half-destroying Times Square. As threats were getting more persistent across the country and the world, Director Fury decided to set up another SHIELD department and superhero team in LA. And you were chosen to head it up.

As you were flying over in a SHIELD jet, you looked through the files on your team members. You'd only have a couple to start out with, your first task to get them properly trained.

The first file on your lap held all vital information for a green-haired man who called himself Septic Scream. These superhero names were getting ridiculous. You kept yours simple: Neurofreeze. Not the most friendly name, but you wanted your enemies to be intimidated. And sure, a little respectful fear from fellow heroes couldn't hurt.

Septic Scream's real name was Sean. His name suddenly made sense when you read his powers, sonic boom scream and septic abilities. You didn't quite want to know what exactly that entailed. Noting that he hailed from Ireland, not America, you then swapped his out for your other teammate's file.

Superhero name, MarkiFire. Real name, Mark. Powers, nearly superhuman strength and fire control and summoning. You snorted when you read the fire control. Fury teamed you up with some guy with the exact opposite powers of yours.

As the jet descended into the SHIELD airspace, you picked up your things, tucking the files under your arms. Walking into the building's lobby, you took quick notice of how it appeared more modern, but still smaller than your old HQ. An agent told you where your room was, and that your teammates were expected to arrive soon.

"Tell them to meet me on the training floor after they visit their rooms." You asked her, and she nodded.

Dropping your stuff off in your room, you quickly mapped out everything. It was bigger than your SHIELD-approved apartment back in New York. You could get used to this. Someone held the elevator open for you as you exited your room, but you politely declined. A good run down the stairs would get you ready for training warmup.

Once you were in the gym, you waited around by doing some brisk running on a treadmill. A while later you checked your watch. The newbies should've been here five minutes ago. Then, you could hear them coming down the hall. Well at least Septic Scream, even without his sonic boom yell, he was still a loud person in general. They walked in the door, one after the other, laughing and giggling about something.

At first they didn't notice you. "Looks like we got here before teach." The red-haired one laughed.

"You two are five minutes late." You stepped out of the shadow, arms crossed, then checked your watch. "Never mind, seven minutes late. For every minute you were late I want you to do thirty pushups."

"How many is that?" Sean asked, rather loudly. Definitely had the Irish accent you were expecting.

"You're smart boys, figure it out."

"You just can't make us do that!" The other one, Markifire, yelled in outrage. His flame-red hair briefly turned into actual flames, as well as the entirety of his head and his hands. You didn't even bat an eyelash at it, definitely not the weirdest thing you'd seen.

"Fury has given me a hothead and a loudmouth good god." You muttered.

You cleared your throat. "Oh look you've spent another minute arguing with me, make that an extra twenty pushups."

Sean and Mark exchanged looks, then immediately dropped to the floor to begin pushups.

"While you two do that, I'll talk." You began, leaning on the treadmill you had been running on earlier. "My name is Neurofreeze, or Y/N. My power is the manipulation of water and ice. Yes, I was previously stationed with SHIELD in New York. I went on a few missions with the Avengers. But this isn't the Avengers. They all walked on knowing everything about themselves and their powers. This team doesn't. Mark, you burst into flames at the slightest offense. Sean, I could hear you talking from three floors up. Do you think either of those things will help you all when you're out in the real world fighting actual bad guys?"

"We have fought bad guys!" Mark interjected, and this time the flames on his hands left burns on the floor. "I've put muggers and drug dealers behind bars!"

"You haven't fought real bad guys until you've felt heavy with dread, or until you've known in your soul that you were going to die and there is nothing you can do about it! You two with your petty street criminals don't know anything about being captured and tortured and having unimaginable things done to you!" You couldn't control your sheer rage.

The two boys were silent and still as you continued your rant, pulling down your cuffed jacket to show the scarred flesh along your neck ranging from your left ear to your collarbone. "Don't you fucking dare tell me about what fighting real enemies is."

You marched between the quiet pair, heading straight for the door. "Training's over for today." You said before rushing out the door, desperately covering your neck again.

Back in your room, you went into the one place you ever truly felt safe, the water. Filling up the bathtub, you could feel a tear squirming its way down your face. You fiercely wiped it away and you undressed, then stepped into the tub. Sinking down so the water was just at the scar by your collerbone, you breathed deeply. The water almost felt as if it was giving you a hug.

Absentmindedly, you moved your fingers underwater, causing the surface water to dance around to your command. You couldn't believe you had shown them your neck on the first day. Lost in thought, you hadn't realized how much time had passed until a beeping from your phone alerted you to the time.

"6:30 oh jeez." You muttered, then saw an incoming SHIELD video call. Completely forgetting that you were in the bath, you accepted it.

"Hi Y/N," the man on the other end greeted you, then saw where you were. "You're in the bath!"

"Crap!" You yelled, about to hang up.

Mark had his eyes closed as he spoke to you. "Um Sean and I were calling to tell you that dinner is ready and we really want to apologize for earlier! Bye!"

As the screen went black, you set your phone down. How stupid you were. You yell at your new recruits then answer a video call from one of them while you were naked in the bath. Very professional.